PRIVATELY OVERPRINTED 1d KEVII POSTAL CARDS

Ross Ewington

PRIVATELY OVERPRINTED 1d KEVII POSTAL CARDS

#1 Post by Ross Ewington » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:13 pm

I used to collect Australian / Tasmanian postal stationery either PTPO by or privately overprinted for Tasmanian businesses, organisations, etc.
The overprint on the card illustrated below is unfamiliar to me and has resulted in posting this query ......

To what extent do private overprints exist on the 1d KEVII postal cards?

tas597.jpg
tas597.jpg (89.53 KiB) Viewed 4336 times
There are many different private overprints on the 1d QV cards but the KEVII design cards do not appear to have been overprinted to the same amount.

If you have any of these cards, please post a 100dpi image (or thereabouts) here ...... to save time there is no need to provide an image of the front
of the card, just the overprint will be fine but it would be useful to identify the card type.

Basically, there were three slightly different card designs issued:
Type A (issued 1904) - no frame around indicium; two line inscription below the crest commences "Available only for the Commonwealth....".
Type B (issued late 1905) - frame around indicium; two line inscription below the crest commences "Available only for the United Kingdom ....".
Type C (issued in 1906) - two line inscription below the crest removed

My example illustrated above is Type B

Malcolm Groom

Re: PRIVATELY OVERPRINTED 1d KEVII POSTAL CARDS

#2 Post by Malcolm Groom » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:23 am

I can add the following private printed messages on postal cards as follows:

A.E. Rudder Shipping & Forwarding Agents (type B)
Amateur Horticultural Society (type C)
C Piesse & Co. (type C)
Diocese of Tasmania Women's Council (type C)
For Spring Bay and Swansea 'Breone' (type A)
For Spring Bay and Swansea 'SS Moonah' (type B)
Griffiths Bros. (type A & C)
H. Jones & Co. (type C)
Hobart Camera Club (type C)
J. Bidencope & Son - Where the Good Hats are (type C)
John Hamilton & Co. (type C)
Legislative Council Elections for Hobart- W.B. Propsting (type C) - see: http://tps.org.au/bb/viewtopic.php?f=12 ... 1357#p1357
Leven Road Trust (type C)
Mr A Steward Lucadou Wells Dental Surgeons (type C)
Sorell Race Club (type C)
Southern Tasmanian Camera Club (type C)
Tasmanian Balfour Prospecting Association (type C)
Tasmanian Woolgrowers Agency Co. Ltd (printed address also) (type C)
The Bank of Australasia (type B)
The Daily Telegraph (type A)
The Volunteer Consolidated Extended Gold Mining Company (type A)
Timetable S.S. Huon and S.S. Hopetoun (type C)
TJ Cane & Co (type C)
W.D. Peacock (type B)
Walter S Bell & Co Wharf Frontage (type A)

The descriptions best fit the message and their a minor variations where I have more than one card.

I hope to get a full list of messages on Tasmanian postal cards published in the Postal Stationery Collector journal shortly.

Malcolm Groom

#3 Post by Malcolm Groom » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:43 am

I have found five more messages all on KEVII Type C cards all from Auto Car Club of Tasmania and with different messages. Used 1910 to 1913. One advises of a Club Run to Richmond Fair to meet at SS Kangaroo at 2.15 pm.

Ross Ewington

#4 Post by Ross Ewington » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:08 pm

For a little "colour" (of the black and white variety) to add to the above post, here's a photo of the
S.S. Kangaroo on the Domain Slip in 1911 by well-known Hobart photographer of the time W.J. Little
s.s. kangaroo.jpg
s.s. kangaroo.jpg (68.67 KiB) Viewed 4304 times
To see a larger version of this photo, here's a link to the Archives Office of Tasmania.
http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu. ... id&id=8761

To return to this page, please use your BACKSPACE key.

Malcolm Groom

#5 Post by Malcolm Groom » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:31 am

For some more 'colour' the SS Kangaroo was known to locals on Bellerive as 'old double guts'

Mike

#6 Post by Mike » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:54 pm

Two real postcard views of the Kangaroo. No photographers name.

I think this view is the Kangaroo stranded just off shore at Bellerive Jan 1920.

The Kangaroo just departing the Hobart wharfs.

Jonothan Davis

#7 Post by Jonothan Davis » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:42 am

The Paddle Steamer Kangaroo was built in 1854-55 to designs by Governor Denison who was an engineer and was of two hulls joined by the decking with paddle wheel between the two hulls. Originally steered by tiller from both ends, (she was double ended and could run both ways.) In 1903 she was sold to the O'May Brothers who fitted steering on top of engine house. The iron wheels can be seen in the lower photo which would have been taken just prior to 1907 as the SS Beautiful Star is in background. This vessel was burnt at domain on Christmas day 1907.

The first photo of the vessel aground at Kangaroo Point was due to springing a leak in one of the hulls so she was run ashore to prevent sinking. By this time the upper deck or bridge deck had been glassed in for more weather protection. The funnel has not moved position.

The Kangaroo was built for the Government but soon sold a great loss to Captain Taylor, know to all as "Top Hat Taylor" due to never being without his top hat even while skippering the Kangaroo. Taylor lived at Risdon Rd New Town and his house still stands.

The Kangaroo was broken up at Bellerive in 1926.

Mike

#8 Post by Mike » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Another superb photo of three cars with lots of travellers about to unlaod from the Kangaroo. A semi official postcard by W.Fellows (DIC) whatever that stands for ? This picture appears in my booklet "The Semi -Official Postcards of Tasmania 1908 to 1969.

Ross Ewington

#9 Post by Ross Ewington » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:08 pm

Great cards/photos ....now back to the topic. ;)

Here's the card used in 1911 overprinted for W.B. Propsting's first campaign to win the Tasmanian Legislative Council seat of Hobart
.... he was successful and remained a member until his death in 1937.

You can read about his career here: http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A110310b.htm

[attachment=0]g377.jpg[/attachment]

This card has already been listed by Malcolm - see: http://tps.org.au/bb/posting.php?mode=r ... =182#pr648

Do any TPS BB members have any other examples of 1d KEVII cards overprinted for a political candidate?

I have listed a 1d QV card used in 1900 for the same purpose here: http://tps.org.au/bb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=315#p1356
Attachments
g377.jpg
g377.jpg (149.92 KiB) Viewed 4216 times