KEdVII 1d Postal Card - Proof?

Lars Peter Svendsen

KEdVII 1d Postal Card - Proof?

#1 Post by Lars Peter Svendsen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:07 pm

Some time ago I acquired this item as a 1906 KEdVII Proof. Can anyone give me some input on that?
Attachments
KGV 1906 Proof
KGV 1906 Proof
PS proof.jpg (57.63 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
Last edited by Ross Ewington on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This card is a King Edward VII issue, not a KGV.

John Shepherd

Re: KGV Proof?

#2 Post by John Shepherd » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:15 pm

This particular proof of the King Edward VIII postcard in black is thought to be an unofficial reprint. The plate was reprinted from I believe in the early 1950s prior to the plate being destroyed in 1953.

I recall the collection of the late Gene Tinsley contained a part sheet with some notes concerning the production of the card. Unfortunately I don't have a copy. Single examples are still quite collectable.

Ross Ewington

Re: KEVII 1d Postal Card - Proof?

#3 Post by Ross Ewington » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:21 am

It took me quite some time to find the image below of a complete sheet of the KEVII 1d
postal card "posthumous proof" in black ... I stopped looking for it and there it was!!

I sold this item in a postal auction over a year ago ... here is the lot description:

278 1906 - posthumous Plate Proof in black of both upper and lower plates (used for the
final printings) of the 1d KEVII postal card. These examples were prepared in the 1950’s
when the plates “re-surfaced” with each impression made on brownish paper (measuring
760 x 510mm). The proofs show the final arrangement of the plates with 23 impressions,
each with 3 clichés added down the left side and also cliché removed to prepare the plate
for the 1908 American Fleet card. All the final flaws on the clichés are plated and the items
are accompanied by a letter describing the circumstances in which the impressions were
produced - believed to be only 5 prints made. Interesting items, both rolled up in mailing
tube. (2) … ex Ingles / Tinsley / Groom

I may be able to obtain a scan of the accompanying letter from the purchaser for posting here.