Roberts & Co Ltd Auctioneers Hobart 1d cover

Dave Jeffery

Roberts & Co Ltd Auctioneers Hobart 1d cover

#1 Post by Dave Jeffery » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:07 pm

I do not know if this has been recorded so I have posted an image to add to the records.

Ross Ewington

Re: Roberts & Co Ltd Auctioneers Hobart 1d cover

#2 Post by Ross Ewington » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Roberts & Co. were prolific users of PTPO envelopes. Orchard states on page 61 of Printed to Private Order Stationery - Tasmania 1933 to 1974 (Magpie Press 1999) that there were "over a million printed in the period of this study" (alone!). Post office records indicate that the last envelopes were embossed for Roberts & Co. in 1948 (I cannot recall having seen a Roberts & Co. envelope with a QEII indicium so this was probably the case).

The QV indicium is in my opinion moderately scarce used on a Roberts @ Co. envelope and it would be interesting to see if we can record an early date of use by this firm. Also, I cannot recall having seen a 2d QV indicium which may indicate that Roberts & Co. only used them for articles which qualified for transmission at the 1d printed matter rate. If anyone has an example with a 2d QV indicium, can you please post an image in this topic ...ditto earliest dates of use will be appreciated.

Dave Jeffery

Re: Roberts & Co Ltd Auctioneers Hobart 1d cover

#3 Post by Dave Jeffery » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:11 am

Thanks Ross, sadly I have not found any other covers todate. Perhaps someone else has one lurking in their collection.