Help with postmark type on 2d pictorial.

Browny

Help with postmark type on 2d pictorial.

#1 Post by Browny » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi all,
Can anyone help with this postmark on this 2d pictorial?
the readable section appears to be 'rahan-NO.2."
Could this be a Strahan type? but I cant see anything about the -NO.2. bit written in Hardinge's guide?
Thanks for any help.
Browny.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with postmark type on 2d pictorial.

#2 Post by admin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:30 pm

Browny,
You are quite right, its Strahan No.2.
It should be listed in John Hardinge's Guide but I have checked all three printings and it has been left out. I am surprised the omission hasnt been picked up, especially as I did some of the proof reading ( :( )
While its not seen every day it is not a really rare cds and was rated R in the first rarity rating by the authors of the Green Books and re-rated as RR later ( I think the consensus would be it was over rated at that time) .I think it would probably sit at around R.

I will check with John Hardinge and we need to get it into the guide for future printings . Once we have some further information I can list the details on this Board in the meantime.
Good pick-up and thanks for your post.

Pete

Ross Ewington

#3 Post by Ross Ewington » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:50 am

STRAHAN No.2 is listed in 'The Courier' #58 under the correct post office name of STRAHAN WEST - it's rated R+(9*) ...the * in the rarity rating indicates that clear and/or complete strikes are elusive

admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by admin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:17 pm

Perhaps we should consider adding and entry for Strahan No 2 referring to Strahan West as its not immediately obvious. I think this is the only cds where the cds name is substantially different to the Post Office?

Browny

#5 Post by Browny » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks for prompt reply Ross and Pete.
Maybe even a simple description in the NOTES column of Strahan West would suffice: 'Strahan-No.2'
Similar to Geeveston note: "Geeves-Town".
Appreciate your help.
;)
Browny.