Fiscal Postals the 4d Blue Sideface

Revenuer

Fiscal Postals the 4d Blue Sideface

#1 Post by Revenuer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:28 pm

I have watched with interest sales of the 4d blue sideface throughout September & October 09 on eBay.

I have noted 4 copies on offer ALL have been cleaned fiscal postals [some sold as mint!] inc the latest copy [shown below] which has inverted wmk - this sold for a healthy US$520.00.

The inverted wmk is not noted in Bassett Hull 1890 and i have no other record of this stamp being recorded with inv wmk.

Maybe readers have an inverted wmk specimen in their collection? If so can you please post them here.

I only have a mint copy with wmk upright which is probably a cleaned fiscal also.

Dave
front.jpg
front.jpg (49.38 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
back.jpg
back.jpg (25.15 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
Please visit my oz revenues web site: http://www.ozrevenues.com and don't forget "Illegitimi non carborundum"

John Shepherd

Re: Fiscal Postals the 4d Blue Sideface

#2 Post by John Shepherd » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:48 pm

Other examples of the 4d inverted wmk certainly exist. I have seen a handful of different ones.

As Basset Hull notes, the 1d and 10d with inverted wmk on "10" paper are quite common. Whether the 4d inverted exists in equal proportion to the upright wmk it is too early to say as Gibbons has never listed the inverted wmk and thus few people have bothered to check. Further the 4d is oviously a rare basic stamp so no-one ever gets a quantity of the stamps to use as a "representative sample".

It would be possible however to record the inverted wmks (cleaned or not) and move them to a Tasmanian Sideface thread.

Revenuer

Re: Fiscal Postals the 4d Blue Sideface

#3 Post by Revenuer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:57 pm

I have recorded 6 more copies sold since Oct 09 all wmk upright.
Please visit my oz revenues web site: http://www.ozrevenues.com and don't forget "Illegitimi non carborundum"