Postally used George and Dragon

John Campton

Postally used George and Dragon

#1 Post by John Campton » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:12 am

I need a bit of help please. Recently acquired a 2/6 George and Dragon, watermark 1, perf11.8, but appearing to be postally used and cancelled with the Killer Obliterator 1 that I believe was used on ship mail between Tasmania and Hobart (refer image). I have compared the Killer Obliterator to others I have and it appears genuine.
George and Dragon 2 and 6 postally used.jpg
George and Dragon 2 and 6 postally used.jpg (87.41 KiB) Viewed 12049 times
I have read Bill Lloyd- Smiths article, kindly reproduced with permission, on the TPS BB site but I have no idea as to the rarity of postal cancels on 2/6 George and Dragon. Indeed the fact that it is a Killer Obliterator raises questions as to when, where and why.

Bill indicates that this issue of G & D circa 1880 was available for postal use between 1882 - 1892.

Can anyone throw more light on this stamp and rarity please.

Jerry Weirich

Re: Postally used George and Dragon

#2 Post by Jerry Weirich » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:40 pm

John -- This does not answer your questions, but I believe the cancel was used at Melbourne. Jerry

admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by admin » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:26 am

John,
St George and Dragon stamps postally used are relatively scarce and sometimes the cancel is forged as a result. Its especially difficult to find on cover.
The ones I see are almost awaysl fiscally used
My understanding is the "Killer" canceller was used at Melbourne GPO as Jerry says. It would not make a lot of sense for this to be used on a Bass Straight vessel as only Loose Letters would have been cancelled on Board.
Very unusual to see one cancelled outside Tasmania.

Pete

John Campton

#4 Post by John Campton » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:39 pm

Thanks Jerry and Pete,

I meant to say it was used on ship mail from Tasmania to Melbourne but I have obviously lost the plot. As they say never proof read your own work.

bill

#5 Post by bill » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:08 am

John Campton's discovery is very interesting. The Dragons are not common postally used.
John's example looks OK but it is still worth putting it under the UV lamp to make sure of
its status as "postally used". As "admin" reminds us, postal usage of Dragons on cover are
especially difficult to find. Even usages on piece are very hard to find.