Platypus with Coal-tar aniline Ink

Revenuer

Platypus with Coal-tar aniline Ink

#1 Post by Revenuer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:38 pm

I have a bunch of Platypus issues but can only find three copies of the 1/- printed with Aniline Ink, all dated 9/1888.

I cannot find any previous reference to this ink being used, can anybody help me with this, does somebody have printing records showing what period this ink was used, better still does anybody have any dated copies they can post here....Dave
Attachments
aniline.jpg
aniline.jpg (58.6 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
Last edited by Revenuer on Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my oz revenues web site: http://www.ozrevenues.com and don't forget "Illegitimi non carborundum"

John Shepherd

Re: Platypus with Coal-tar aniline Ink

#2 Post by John Shepherd » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:25 pm

An index to the DLR Correspondence Books has previously been published in The Courier.

There may also be some information in Easton.

But aren't all 1/-'s printed in fugitive ink anyway? :?:

Revenuer

#3 Post by Revenuer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:14 am

I am sure if others check their stock they will pull a few out hopefully dated copies, if so please post here….Dave
Last edited by Revenuer on Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my oz revenues web site: http://www.ozrevenues.com and don't forget "Illegitimi non carborundum"

Ross Ewington

#4 Post by Ross Ewington » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:20 am

I have just read the relevant entry re the Platypus s/duties in Easton (pages 316/317)
and there is nothing provided to give any further illumination.

The only mention of the ink used is quoted from De La Rue correspondence:

"...although the stamps were required for Revenue purposes, they had been printed
in singly fugitive inks". This would refer to the original printing of course.

Revenuer

#5 Post by Revenuer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:40 am

Thanks Ross. I just found this in an on line Glossary

Fugitive Inks
Printing inks used in stamp production that easily fade or break up in water or chemicals. To counter attempts at forgery or the removal of cancellations, many governments have used fugitive inks to print stamps.

Aniline Inks
Ink with a coal-tar base. Aniline inks are very sensitive and may dissolve in water or other liquids or chemicals. To prevent the erasure of cancellations and reuse of stamps, aniline inks were used to print some stamps.

When I compare the 1/- on and off document I can see little if any change in the colour. All my copies off paper do not have the ink seeping through to the back whereas the 3 copies I have dates 9/1888 have the characteristics of Aniline Ink being used.

Dave