OS perfins on Tablets / sidefaces - multiples needed

wilbaer

OS perfins on Tablets / sidefaces - multiples needed

#1 Post by wilbaer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:43 pm

Hello all,

Does anyone have large blocks or multiples of OS perfins on any of the De La Rue Tasmanian tablets that they may be able to scan in for us for our perfin project?

We have recently come across a block and some vertical strips of DLR Western Australia issues from the Western Australian Museum that show a huge variation /asymmetry in how these stamps were perforated (compared to very symmetrical OS perfs on the non-DLR Victorian stamps, for instance). We are in the process of hunting down other blocks, but as the Tasmanian DLR Tablets are the same size as the WA DLR swans, it would be extremely interesting to see if these same variations existed in the Tasmanian tablets.

I have been looking at a lot of my singles and there is a big variance in the locations of the OS punches on these tablets, which are a strong indication that this asymmetrical OS device for the WA DLR stamps could also have been used for these sidefaces / tablets.

I have attached a scan of the reverse of the WA DLR block to show you what we mean, courtesy of Brian Pope and the Western Australian Museum... hope it helps to outline what I am talking about. Looking forward to hearing any thoughts on this theory and any proving scans that you may be able of offer. Many thanks.... Jerry
Attachments
WAM Bunbury halfpenny block reverse.jpg
WAM Bunbury halfpenny block reverse.jpg (70.74 KiB) Viewed 5683 times

wilbaer

Re: OS perfins on Tablets / sidefaces - multiples needed

#2 Post by wilbaer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:29 am

We received this wonderful scan recently, again reproduced here with permission from the National Philatelic Collection, Australia Post, of a full block of the 10d Tablet punctured OS. Thought you all might like to see it....an article in an upcoming PCNZA bulletin will hopefully follow about the OS puncturing of Tasmanian Issues. A first article on the OS Type F (Melbourne OS) has already been published last month, outlining the differing construct of the devices that must have been used to puncture the various issues from the differing Australian States. It is made available here - comments would be very welcomed.
OS 10d tablet full sheet.JPG
OS 10d tablet full sheet.JPG (181.23 KiB) Viewed 5655 times
PCNZA Melbourne OS Type F article Oct 18 pdf.pdf
(2.83 MiB) Downloaded 174 times