Doubled OS Perfins on Pictorials and QV Tablets

Ross Ewington

Doubled OS Perfins on Pictorials and QV Tablets

#1 Post by Ross Ewington » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:16 pm

Over the last twenty years or so I have seen a number of Pictorials (mainly lower values) and at least one QV Tablet with a double OS perfin. The mint example pictured above (sold recently at auction) has re-kindled my interest in this perfin variety so I thought that this BB would be an excellent means by which to compile a listing of "on which stamps", "mint and/or used" and "how many are known".

Please load any images of doubled OS perfins that you may have in your possession to this topic. Any information about this perfin variety would be of great interest as I plan to write an article on this topic that can be added to the TPS website at some stage in the future.

Ross

David McNamee

Re: Doubled OS Perfins on Pictorials and QV Tablets

#2 Post by David McNamee » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:11 am

I have three singles and one pair of the Pictorial ½d with doubled "OS" perfins from 0.5mm, 1.5mm, 5mm and 15mm offsets, all unused. I have seen a doubled 1d used and a doubled 4d unused, but I do not own them.

John Shepherd

#3 Post by John Shepherd » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:10 pm

David: I have seen about half a dozen examples of the 1/2d Litho Double Perf OS over the years (including yours). It may be possible to plate them - could you post illustrations. This would be an interesting project.

I have never seen a used 1/2d double, suggesting the known examples may come from one spoiled sheet.

Peter Allan

#4 Post by Peter Allan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:17 pm

A TPS member, Jerry Weirich from the US has a long standing interest in plating the Litho printings. If there are any questions about plating 1/2 lithos Gerry may be able to assist. I can let him know the BB is operational in case he has some interest in this issue.
Pete

Jerry Weirich

#5 Post by Jerry Weirich » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:06 pm

I have one unused 1/2d litho double OS perfin. These stamps can be plated and the 1/2d value is the easiest to plate. My stamp is from plate 2, position 10. The stamp Ross displayed is plate 2, position 18 (major variety). I'd post a scan of my stamp but I haven't figured out how to do it yet with this BB. I would be happy to plate any other 1/2d litho double OS perfin stamps. Most can be done with a good scan of at least 600 ppi. Plating may be the best approach for determining how many were actually created.

admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by admin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:05 am

Heres a new example, posted on behalf of US TPS member, Jerry Weirich. Thanks Jerry !
Halfpenny-Double-OS-300pix.jpg
Halfpenny-Double-OS-300pix.jpg (30.04 KiB) Viewed 3682 times

Ross Ewington

#7 Post by Ross Ewington » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:46 pm

Another example ... mint as per usual. Thanks to M.F. for this doubled perfin!
double os perfin.jpg
double os perfin.jpg (71.3 KiB) Viewed 3679 times

Jerry Weirich

#8 Post by Jerry Weirich » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:34 am

The halfpenny double OS scan from Ross (courtesy of M.F.) is from Plate 2, Position 5.

Ross Ewington

#9 Post by Ross Ewington » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:23 pm

The doubled OS perfins below are part of Lot 334 in the forthcoming Prestige Philately Public Auction No.153
to be held on February 12th 2010. I will try to obtain the watermark and exact perf details and add to this post.
pictorial double perfs.jpg
pictorial double perfs.jpg (59.99 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
Here's a direct link to the catalog page with lot description: http://www.prestigephilately.com/catlot ... tas&lim=20