McK / S / McK New Discovery

David McNamee

McK / S / McK New Discovery

#1 Post by David McNamee » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:55 am

Except for Tattersall’s perfin “A” on cover, which are scarce, Tasmania’s private perfins on cover are rare. This is the first McKinlay’s Department Store perfin “McK/S/McK” on cover I have seen or heard about in more than 35 years collecting Tassie perfins. Cover is dated 22 February 1907. One image is of the stamp and the other is of the cover.
McK-S-McK Resized.jpg
McK-S-McK Resized.jpg (41.59 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
McK-S-McK cover Resized.jpg
McK-S-McK cover Resized.jpg (80.26 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
The pattern suffered a progressive loss in pins from the original 74 in 1898 to only 64 at the end of its use in 1912. The image of the scanned hole pattern shows the state of the head February 1909 with 67 pins. The stamp image above shows that this perfin is missing the bottom row “McK” – only the top holes of the row show.
mck2.JPG
mck2.JPG (52.29 KiB) Viewed 2001 times

SteveRadell

Re: McK / S / McK New Discovery

#2 Post by SteveRadell » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:49 am

I just found a 2p dated 1904 with what looks to be 68 pins.
I am just starting to understand perfins, I have a few dozen with T, OS & A (lg and sm holes.)
Some of the T are very poorly aligned, on one the top is completely to the side of the vertical.
How scarce are McK perfins to begin with?
Steve

Ross Ewington

Re: McK / S / McK New Discovery

#3 Post by Ross Ewington » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:03 am

Hi Steve

would you be able to post a scan of both sides of your McK S McK perfin please?

a resolution of about 300dpi should do it

as there are no rarity ratings for Tasmanian private perfins (still a lot of work to do), the best
I can say is that they are scarcer than A.W.F. (Australian Widows Fund) perfins, about as scarce as
the IHC (International Harvester Co.) puncture and not as scarce as DWM Ltd (D.W. Murray Ltd) type.