OS PERFINS on 6d PICTORIALS SIDEWAYS to DESIGN - HOW COMMON?

Ross Ewington

OS PERFINS on 6d PICTORIALS SIDEWAYS to DESIGN - HOW COMMON?

#1 Post by Ross Ewington » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:59 pm

I have just sorted through a now formerly 'unpicked' mixture of nearly 400x 6d Pictorials about
80 of which have an OS perfin .......I only found one with the OS punctured sideways to the
design.

[attachment=0]OS on 6d.jpg[/attachment]

I would have thought I'd found more in a genuinely unpicked lot ..... I remember sorting through a
similar lot of 4d Pictorials a few years back and if I remember correctly, about 10-15% of the OS
perfins had been applied at right angles to the design.

Has anyone researched this aspect of OS perfins on the Pictorial issue?
Attachments
OS on 6d.jpg
OS on 6d.jpg (84.31 KiB) Viewed 2410 times

Jerry Weirich

Re: OS PERFINS on 6d PICTORIALS SIDEWAYS to DESIGN - HOW COMMON?

#2 Post by Jerry Weirich » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:03 am

Ross -- I've been researching the OS perfins mostly on the lithographed pictorials for about a year. I've read all the literature I could find since about 1912 and have not found any production data. Based on my own collection of 1/2d and 2d lithographed pictorials, it appears that the OS sideways is scarcer than the OS upright. I have a total of 79 OS perfins on the 1/2d litho--only 2 are sideways. I have a total of 92 OS perfins on the 2d litho with V over Crown watermark--only 11 are sideways. I recognize that these are small sample sizes given the thousands that must exist, but I do believe that the OS sideways is scarcer (however not rare). I do have one OS sideways on the 6d recess printing in my collection.

SteveRadell

Re: OS PERFINS on 6d PICTORIALS SIDEWAYS to DESIGN - HOW COM

#3 Post by SteveRadell » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:49 am

I wanted to add a little summary of my perfins as I'm trying to learn more about them:

I have 4 OS sideways 1p, seemingly all used in 1906, 29 other 1p and one normal 6p. (None missing pins.)
I have 7 A, of three sizes, one is a 2 1/2p.
I have 86 T perfins, of various numbers of dots and alignments, no doubles but many postmarks incl. Cape Barren Island.
Of a recent lot of 30 6p stamps, 4 had T and just the one OS.
I have the one McK.
I have at least a few Australia with T, I now hope to organize these at some point...

I have been saving aside all perfins in my collection for a few years now, with many countries represented.

Steve

Revenuer

Re: OS PERFINS on 6d PICTORIALS SIDEWAYS to DESIGN - HOW COM

#4 Post by Revenuer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:42 pm

6d-sideways.png
6d-sideways.png (388.84 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
Please visit my oz revenues web site: http://www.ozrevenues.com and don't forget "Illegitimi non carborundum"