DJ LTD (David Jones, Sydney) PERFIN on 1d PICTORIAL

Ross Ewington

DJ LTD (David Jones, Sydney) PERFIN on 1d PICTORIAL

#1 Post by Ross Ewington » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:02 am

This image of a most interesting 'discovery' was sent to me by an enthusiastic collector of Australian perfins
who is still wondering why no-one else (including me) noticed it offered on eBay recently.
dj ltd perfin on 1d Pictorial.jpg
dj ltd perfin on 1d Pictorial.jpg (253.34 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
Note the pattern of perfins is designed to 'fit' the smaller NSW stamps of the period.

I assume that the explanation for it's existence would be the same as for the Buckley & Nunn, Melbourne perfin appearing
on Tasmanian stamps, i.e. mail order stores accepted stamps for payment of low value orders and/or postage and the stamps were then
used by the firm once a perfin had been applied.

[ the stamps of any former Australian Colony were valid for postage from anywhere in the Commonwealth from October 13th 1910 ]

Revenuer

Re: DJ LTD (David Jones, Sydney) PERFIN on 1d PICTORIAL

#2 Post by Revenuer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:46 pm

Here's a pretty good run down on the DJ perfin
http://www.perfins.com.au/OZ-Revenue-Pe ... rfins.html
Dave
Please visit my oz revenues web site: http://www.ozrevenues.com and don't forget "Illegitimi non carborundum"

David Coath

#3 Post by David Coath » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:31 pm

Dear Ross

If I missed this on ebay then I need to redefine my search

The DJLTD on Tasmanian issues is indeed rare.

Having said that I have examples of this pattern on SA, Tas and Qld issues. I believe that this is due to cross State issues being used to reduce stocks , around 1912, prior to the Kangaroos series being issued.

All of the DJLTD devices were always in Sydney .

Still if I was collecting only Tasmanian patterns then I would consider this to be a Tasmanian pattern because it is on an issue of Tasmania

David

Ross Ewington

#4 Post by Ross Ewington » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks David

I do think that Tasmanian stamps were ever issued for sale from post offices in mainland states from October 1910
through to 1913. Evidence to the contrary would be welcome but I still reckon that the 1d Pictorials came from a
mail order customer in Tasmania and 'recycled' for postage rather than David Jones buying the stamps from a Sydney
post office.

Would you have images of other Tasmanian stamp with the DJ Ltd perfin that you can post in this topic 'for the record'?