A J Nettlefold Tailor & Outfitter

Revenuer

A J Nettlefold Tailor & Outfitter

#1 Post by Revenuer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:47 pm

Has there been anything published on the dates etc of this label?

Dave
t1.jpg
t1.jpg (75.62 KiB) Viewed 14723 times
Please visit my oz revenues web site: http://www.ozrevenues.com and don't forget "Illegitimi non carborundum"

Ross Ewington

Re: A J Nettlefold Tailor & Outfitter

#2 Post by Ross Ewington » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:14 pm

It's a new to me....

....here's a little background information about A.J. Nettlefold I have managed to assemble.

Wise's Trade Directory of 1900 lists NETTLEFOLD A J as a tailor at 58-62 Liverpool Street,Hobart

The Hobart City Council lists "Nettlefold, Alfred John (Estate Agent) as an alderman in 1923

and Nettlefold, Thomas S. (Tailor) as an alderman in 1914 (with photos)

here's the link: http://www.hobartcity.com.au/HCC/STANDARD/PC_1425.html

I would say that the Hobart City Council website is in error and the professions have been reversed.

If I can find a streetscape photo with a view of his premises I will add it to this post.

Therefore, one could "date" the cinderella as being used circa 1900 although the design and the blue paper to which it is affixed
may suggest a much earlier date. When I get the opportunity I will see if I can find the earliest "business reference" to
A.J. Nettlefold.

Here's a newspaper advertisement from The Mercury in 1903 http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12264815
(you have to scroll down the page a little). To return to this page you can use the backspace key on your keyboard.

David McNamee

#3 Post by David McNamee » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:34 am

I have a copy of this label. A J Nettlefold was an alias for Tatts in Hobart and an agent in Queenstown, and one of these labels is found on Tatts mail. A J Nettlefold is known as part of the Tatts network 1904-1907.

sue nettlefold

#4 Post by sue nettlefold » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:42 pm

I am AJ Nettlefolds grand daughter and may be able to assist in some way as I have some of his history which was written by his son Scott Nettlefold. Please advise. Sue

Ross Ewington

#5 Post by Ross Ewington » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:20 am

Dear Sue

Many thanks for your response to this topic. A short biography, especially with information relating to his occupation
[and place(s) thereof] and perhaps a small photo if available would be great.

best regards - Ross Ewington (TPS BB Moderator)

graham

#6 Post by graham » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Just a few additional facts which may be of interest.I have a number of letterhead accounts from 1910-1913 with the heading Nettlefolds Head to Foot Outfitters(T.S.Nettlefold) 62 Liverpool St,Hobart and in a box the words Tailors,Mercers,Hatters,Athletic Outfitters,Boot Merchants and Ladies' Tailors.
My earliest Wise's Post Office Directory is 1908 which lists the only A.J.Nettlefold as manager of the "Daily Post" but a check of earlier copies in the State Library should show when he was last a tailor.

Mike

#7 Post by Mike » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:06 pm

Wise's 1904 Post Office Directory lists A J Nettlefold as tailor, sports depot and tobacconists 58 & 62 Liverpool St Hobart.

Mike.

Ross Ewington

#8 Post by Ross Ewington » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:19 pm

This is the first paragraph of the entry for members of the Tasmanian the Nettlefold family in the "Australian Dictionary of Biography" (Online Edition) at http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A110004b.htm I have changed the most relevant part of the text to bold type.

NETTLEFOLD FAMILY: Sir THOMAS SYDNEY RICHARD (1879-1956) and ISAAC ROBERT (1877-1946), businessmen, were sons of Thomas Nettlefold, farmer, and his wife Susan, née Olden, both from Birmingham, England. Thomas was born on 11 November 1879 at Tunnack, Tasmania, and educated at Harrington's school, Hobart. He claimed to have begun his career at 14 as a newspaper office-boy but in 1896 he joined a brother, possibly Alfred John who started a small business that year, and went on to establish the Hobart Daily Post in 1908. On 27 February 1906 Thomas, giving his occupation as outfitter, married Gertrude Elizabeth Sargison in Hobart. In 1914 he was appointed branch manager for Tasmania of the Hume Bros Cement Iron Co. Ltd of Adelaide. On the formation of the Hume Pipe Co. (Aust) Ltd in 1920 he moved to Melbourne as general manager for Australia.

Ross Ewington

#9 Post by Ross Ewington » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:10 pm

I assume this is the A.J. Nettlefold we are discussing.
[attachment=0]aj nettlefold photo.jpg[/attachment]

An "A.J. Nettlefold" was a season ticket holder for the Tasmanian International
Exhibition held in Hobart during 1894/95. This is the exhibition's copy of the photo
that would have been included on the ticket. It is believed that these photos were
made by J.W. Beattie.

It is unlikely that there were two "A.J. Nettlefolds" in Hobart at the time !

P.S. ...love the tie knot !!
Attachments
aj nettlefold photo.jpg
aj nettlefold photo.jpg (36.25 KiB) Viewed 14551 times

bill

#10 Post by bill » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:05 pm

Recently, I inspected an example of this label by A.J. Nettlefold and measured its perforation to be 11.4.

This BB has more information about this label but to estimate a date, we can appeal to similar observations
for Tasmanian registration labels and the Tasmanian type-set series from November 1902 in denominations
from ½d to 6d. In a recent post in the Railway Parcels Stamps section of this BB, we find a reference to a
registration label perf 11½ dated 1912. (See recent articles by Kevin Burt in Philately from Australia with
special reference to early Tasmanian registration labels.). Is it possible that the same business perforated
both the registration labels for the Post Office and the labels for A.J. Nettlefold? After all, such a task did
not need high security as required for printing postage stamps or for banknotes.

A similar date could apply to the 1d railway newspaper stamp perf 11½ (also mentioned in the same post
as for the registration label. The registration label when used on cover tells you the date. Used railway
newspaper stamps rarely bear dates to show when they were used. We don't expect the Nettlefold labels
to show any date at all. Hence, we try bringing these disparate ideas together to elicit more information
whenever this method is feasible.

Revenuer

#11 Post by Revenuer » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:58 pm

Bill
David McNamee mentioned a label recorded on a Tatts cover. Maybe he could share the date.
Dave
Please visit my oz revenues web site: http://www.ozrevenues.com and don't forget "Illegitimi non carborundum"

bill

#12 Post by bill » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:06 pm

Dave

Do you recall where McNamee recorded that Nettlefold label on a Tatts cover?
From McNamee's book "Beating the Odds" (2002), we know that cover can't be
earlier than 1902. Perhaps his bibliography might help. If need be, I can try
near the end of this month at the RPSV library.

Bill

Revenuer

#13 Post by Revenuer » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:21 am

Maybe an email to David is needed

bill

#14 Post by bill » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:35 am

In the Jan 2016 edition of Stamp News, the Cinderella Corner has a report of this label
with a dated cancellation of 28 July 1904 at Hobart (illustrated in colour). This item
is described as perforated 11 on all four sides. This is an advance on our knowledge
of these scarce items. At last we get a very rough idea of when they were used.

Correction: I measured it on 5 Aug 2022 (see above in this thread) as 11.4 using an Instant
perforation gauge. I am unable to say whether the example in Cinderella Corner has been
correctly measured. Collectors of Tasmania need to take care with perf; much confusion
has arisen over poorly described perfs, even in the Gibbons catalogue.

On Dave Elmore's website (www.ozrevenues.com), click on 'Cinderella Club of Australia'
and proceed to Vito Milana's monthly Cinderella Corner, starting from Jan 2016.