Stolen Mail

Please use this Forum for any other matters that have a bearing on Tasmanina Philately but are not covered in other forums
John Campton

Stolen Mail

#1 Post by John Campton » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:36 pm

Last October I purchased a postcard from an eBay vendor that I had dealt with previously but did not receive the item. Due to the nominal value and good past dealings I let it go through to the keeper in the hope that it would turn up eventually. Well it did today with a letter from Australia Post.
In short the letter advises that late October "some mailbags containing parcels and letters were allegedly stolen from the Launceston Parcel Centre". They have located the mailbags and obviously returning mail where they can, but from the time they were "allegedly stolen" they were not loved. My guess is they were tossed in the scrub somewhere, or mine was anyway. It is suffering from both water damage and has gone rather mouldy. Thankfully my vendor, of good repute, carefully wrapped the postcard in waterproof paper and I only have minor bends to contend with.
As you can see from the images attached it looks like it has done a few rounds with Jeff Fenech and lost dismally.
Stolen mail Launceston October 2021.jpg
Stolen mail Launceston October 2021.jpg (186.59 KiB) Viewed 15093 times
Stolen mail Launceston October 2021 reverse.jpg
Stolen mail Launceston October 2021 reverse.jpg (162.83 KiB) Viewed 15093 times
For anyone who made purchases in October and has not received their mail it may have been in those mailbags. Police "are investigating further". I think I like the condition of the letter and the Australia Post apology and the story behind it more than the postcard.

Ross Ewington

Re: Stolen Mail

#2 Post by Ross Ewington » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:51 pm

thanks John ........ would you be able to post the letter of apology letter from Australia Post please ......'for the record'??

John Campton

Re: Stolen Mail

#3 Post by John Campton » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:52 pm

No problems Ross,

Have attached letter from Australia Post. I did contact the ebay vendor and explained the reason for late feedback. She advised that mail posted by her to Devonport the same day my item was posted had gone missing and she had to reimburse the purchaser.
Stolen mail Launceston October 2021 Australia Post letter.jpg
Stolen mail Launceston October 2021 Australia Post letter.jpg (135.45 KiB) Viewed 15035 times