Carlton Post Office

Please use this Forum for any other matters that have a bearing on Tasmanina Philately but are not covered in other forums
Peter Allan

Carlton Post Office

#1 Post by Peter Allan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Tracking down original Tasmanian Post Offices could become an interesting persuit and many have disapeared for ever. The Carlton Post Office is one of the easiest old Offices to find, located 30-40 kms from Hobart on the banks of the Carlton River. One of the earliest country POs, it opened on 9th Nov 1841, and did not close until 30 Nov 1949. Recently the old original building has been the subject of some restoration and is well worth a look by anyone interested in local or Postal history. I understand that during this process some philatelic items were found on site but am not sure exactly what.(Note, it appears to be private property and while I was able to jump the fence and have a close look, I am not sure if the owner approves !)
Post marks from this office are not common, the Type 1 being R, and the later type 5 being 4R. In my experience 20th century strikes are notoriously faint and incomplete, although some better ones are seen, as in the strike on Pictorial here( which I have already shown on the Board elsewhere.) Does anyone have any 19th Century markings from this Office?
Carlton-River-PO.jpg
Carlton-River-PO.jpg (75.47 KiB) Viewed 6398 times
Carlton-CDS-onPictorial.jpg
Carlton-CDS-onPictorial.jpg (37.28 KiB) Viewed 6398 times
Peter Allan

Colin Salt

Re: Carlton Post Office

#2 Post by Colin Salt » Sun May 02, 2010 12:20 am

Carlton marks have proved very elusive - I can only muster two illustrated below.
t1.jpg
t1.jpg (25.94 KiB) Viewed 6368 times