Demonetisation of Tasmanian stamps

Please use this Forum for any other matters that have a bearing on Tasmanina Philately but are not covered in other forums
Jeffharris

Demonetisation of Tasmanian stamps

#1 Post by Jeffharris » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:01 pm

As today is the 47th. anniversary of the introduction of decimal currency [and decimal stamps] I would like to know on which date the stamps of Tasmania [and the other states] were no longer valid for use in Australia.

When I lived in South Australia, I had information which suggested demonetisation of our pre-decimal currency and postage stamps took place after 30th. June 1967. A few months ago, I noticed in the catalogue of a prominent mainland postal history dealer that the date was 15th. February 1967.

Yesterday, I was reading Issue #3 of the Courier [April 1986] and on page 14 it stated that the demonetisation of Australian pre-decimal stamps took place after 14th. February 1968. Which date is correct - or are they all wrong!
I should be grateful if someone can provide an answer.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Demonetisation of Tasmanian stamps

#2 Post by admin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:36 pm

I believe the following is by Richard Breckon, the Australia Post historian, and if so, I would expect it to be correct.
"The Post Office announced that all stocks of pre-decimal stamps would be withdrawn from post offices on Saturday, 12 February 1966. Although they would no longer be on sale, pre-decimal stamps would remain valid for postage for two years following decimal currency. Then for a further three years after 14 February 1968, pre-decimal stamps could be exchanged for decimal stamps at post offices or cashed in to the Post Office at face value, less a 'buy back' commission of 10 per cent. On 14 February 1971, pre-decimal stamps became entirely invalidated for postal purposes. This measure embraced all pre-decimal stamps, including Australian 19th century stamps, most of which had never been demonetised. "
I am 98% certain Richard is the author of the above but cant be totally certain.
Pete

Ross Ewington

#3 Post by Ross Ewington » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Here's my tuppence worth ... sorry, my 3c worth ..... a pitcha!
last day £sd cover.jpg
last day £sd cover.jpg (252.7 KiB) Viewed 8723 times
P.S. The self-addressed envelope was produced by the late Paul Edwards who was a leading Tasmanian philatelist at the time.

admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by admin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:16 pm

There is also another interesting sideline to this topic. Back before the introduction of Commonwealth stamps, State stamps were generally only valid for use within their own State. However, late in the State period, State stamps eventually became valid for use in other States after protracted negotiations between the Commonwealth and the States. I cant recall the exact date but it was either in 1910 or 1911. There is scope for an interesting collection of usage of State stamps in other States during this brief period.

Jeffharris

#5 Post by Jeffharris » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:16 pm

Thank you for your responses. The 14th. February 1968 is almost certainly the correct date and I shall record it for future reference.

The date that all the colonial issues were permitted to be used [and sold at post offices] in each of the other states was 11th October 1910. Victorian post offices had large quantities of the lower denominations of the Tasmanian Pictorials, no doubt due to the fact that the Government Stamp and Note Printing facility was in Melbourne. The 1d. overprint pictorial stamp was still being used in the 1930s. and is often found on covers from that period. Surprisingly, this stamp is not easy to find on covers which were posted in Tasmania.