Fiscal removal

Please use this forum to ask technical questions about using the Board, making suggestions or comments.
paulsozstates

Fiscal removal

#1 Post by paulsozstates » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:00 pm

How can one tell if a fiscal mark has been removed from stamp?

Does a uv lamp help?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Fiscal removal

#2 Post by admin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:01 pm

Paul, a few obvious things first, which you probably know anyway- if its supposed to be mint there should be some trace of gum still on the stamp. "Mint no gum" is suspicious. Fiscal cancels were introduced on 1 Oct 1863 so the stamp should be on issue at or after this date for there to be a fiscal cancell in the first place. Manuscript cancels on earlier stamps would be a postal marking.
Many of the stamps with removed cancels leave a trace of the cancel behind so visual inspection might reveal a faint trace of a date written across the face - you can quite often see the hint of a pen cancell in the right light. Some of these were then postaly used so you may see stamps with post traces of removed pen cancells and also a post mark.
I have done a couple of tests using uv some years ago and yes, one of the two frequencies of UV light did help to reveal removed cancels but sorry, I cant remember which type of UV light we were using. I can check out the TPS UV lamps again and see what seems to work if interested - let me know.
Personally I dont trust any "mint" stamp after 1863 with no gum, but thats probably me being overly suspicious.
Pete

paulsozstates

#3 Post by paulsozstates » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:18 pm

Thanks pete,

I just find with the imperf and perf chalons it can be tough to see whether the thinning in the stamp that shows the watermark at times is due to the fiscal being removed or just the stamp itself.

I was not sure whether fiscal marks and the agent to remove left some sort of residue that could be picked up by UV.

If you do get a chance to check the UV bandwidth I would, appreciate that.

Thanks
Regards
Paul

admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by admin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:19 pm

Paul,
Our friend Bill Lloyd-Smith has asked one of the members of the Royal Philatelic Society of Victoria who is on their expertising committee how they pick removed cancels and what uv light source might be used if any. I'll have a look at the TPS lamps when I get a chance and see what I can come up with too. Its an interesting question and I expect others will be interested in any information, or may be able provide information.
Just one word of warning, the UVC lamp is dangerous to the eyes and should be left pointing down.

Pete

paulsozstates

#5 Post by paulsozstates » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks for that.

It will be interesting to see what they use or do.

Cheers
Paul