Tasmanian Postal Notes/Orders

New members may like to introduce themselves and tell the Board about their collecting intereets
Hicalibre1

Tasmanian Postal Notes/Orders

#1 Post by Hicalibre1 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:10 am

Hi! all,

Am seeking help, please; of info and illustrations,photos or postcards to enhance my chapter on "The Colony of Tasmania - Postal Notes".

Yes, have been interested for decades and finally hope to publish within 12 months with a good friend from SA. I am from NSW and we are covering all the Colonies and the Uniform issues. (1880-1977) plus Postal Orders. A mammoth task.

Am trying to find out more info on the Government Printers and some PO staff of the period. ie; 1890-1912. eg; Full names, any bits and pieces or photos would be interesting.

W T Strutt, William Grahame jnr., Secretary, Henry Boyes, John Vail..

Issuing Officers; H Dennison, S. Moyes, Eliza Clayton, Fred Leeming.

Am also looking for photos or postcards of some relative Post Offices. Hobart, Launceston, St. Helens, Bradshaws Creek, Lovett, and Sprent
ie. buildings of that period 1890-1912.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely, Ross Pratley

admin
Site Admin

Re: Tasmanian Postal Notes/Orders

#2 Post by admin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi Ross,
Here are a few possible sources of information. I dont have time to search through the following and the list of more of a "brain dump" of where I would look but hopefully some of the following may be useful You are probably well aware of some of there references already :
1. The Tas Philatelic Society site has a number of Postal Guides available for download in PDf form http://www.tps.org.au/tasmanian-archives/ . You may well find reference to some of the people you are seeking or some relevant information. They cover the period late 19th C to early 20th C

2. The Spink Auction House has just auctioned the John Clemente collection of Tas Postal History. This contained the best collection of Postal Noes I have seen in one place with some excellent images in the catalogue https://www.spink.com/auction.aspx?id=16044 . You might also find some covers with signatures of some of the people you are looking for as some were entitles to free mail privileges. The catalogue in PDF form can be downloaded and has high quality images.

3. You probably are well aware of the Trove site but I am sure you will find some references to the people you are seeking in the Tasmanian Newspapers section. It can take a little while to get used to the search engine .

4. I do have an un-published article about John Vale and I feel sure the author would be happy for you to see it - I will seek permission and see if I can send it to you.
4. Plenty of Postcards around for Hobart and Launceston POs but VERY hard to find the others you mentioned. If you dont find anything for Hobart PO please let me know as I have a few images you are welcome to. You can use the 'PM" facility on this Board to contact me.
5. We have a number of copies of other archival documents which have been donated to the TPS and if anything turns up there of interest I will let you know. It may take some weeks to go through these. They appear to be various records from the Post Office Dept in the later 19th C.
6. If you are interested in the Money Order system I have an article on its early beginnings and postal markings.
7. Do you know about the book "A brief History of the Government Printing Office 1839 - 1989" Kim Pearce 1989 ?
Pete

Hicalibre1

#3 Post by Hicalibre1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:14 pm

Thank you Pete and will stay in touch.

They are good suggestions which I will follow up.

It is an interesting subject which is worth recording considering the millions of Postal Notes and Orders issued yet there are few to be found today.

By chance you do not know of any reproduction of the watermarks. ie. the numeric ones and the "TASMANIAN POSTAL NOTE" one?

Thanks again for you early reply.

Cheers,
Ross Pratley

admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by admin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:01 pm

Ross, if you look at the recent Spink Sale you will see examples with both watermarks. The lined numeral "1" is fairly obvious from the image shown but the "Postal Note" watermark is described but I cannot see if on the image. I dont collect these things so cant be of much more help.

Cheers,
Pete

Hicalibre1

#5 Post by Hicalibre1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:45 pm

Thanks again, Pete.

Yes, I had an interest at the Spink auction, no luck however know where it all is now and the buyer should be able to assist me re queries.

Had past communication decades ago with John Clemente who was a great help back then.

Would like to view the article you mentioned on John Vail either post it on this site or Ross Ewington could give you my email/postal address.Will check at the Philas Library in Sydney for the publication on Government Printing Office 1839-1989.

Cheers,
Ross Pratley