New Member Intro

New members may like to introduce themselves and tell the Board about their collecting intereets
Andy

New Member Intro

#1 Post by Andy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:49 am

Hello everyone

I've visited the board many times now and so thought it high time I posted an introduction. I'm interested in engraving and its association with early postal history, which is how I originally found my way here. The site has proved to be a rich source of information and I'm also learning a lot about the remarkable history of Tasmania.

Andy

admin
Site Admin

Re: New Member Intro

#2 Post by admin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:04 am

Andy
Welcome to the TPS bulletin board.
Glad you find this forum useful.
I wonder if we should create a category on the Board for engravers?
Stamp engravers feature quite prominently in the discussions regarding the stamps of some countries.
We have various articles and references in our Journal to some of the more important engravers but as far as I know, no-one focuses very much specifically on them in relation to Tasmania.

In Tasmanias case some of the prominent local engravers produced many of our date stamps as well as the George and Dragon dies( as you probably know).
Would you find an Engravers category useful on this bulletin Board ( as long as it related to our main interest which is philately, postal history and postcards?).
Over time we could gather together in the one place whatever information our members come across.
Pete

Andy

Re: New Member Intro

#3 Post by Andy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:43 am

Hi Pete

A category dedicated to the Tasmanian engravers would be a welcome addition for sure and it would certainly be helpful to have access to this topic in one place as suggested. Engravers of the obliterators and date stamps seem particularly under-represented in any search for information. It would be interesting to learn more about their local work in Tasmania - perhaps further information and links would find a place there.

Andy