Tas Hand Parcel Roller cancels

New members may like to introduce themselves and tell the Board about their collecting intereets
bifuller

Tas Hand Parcel Roller cancels

#1 Post by bifuller » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:04 pm

I am preparing a paper on Tas rollers and if anyone has some or information to share i would welcome their input. All contributions will be acknowledged. I am also doing the whole of Oz Rollers.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Tas Hand Parcel Roller cancels

#2 Post by admin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:05 am

There is some very useful information here on this discussion board which may help, see http://tps.org.au/bb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=394

I am away from home and do not have access to my own records but I believe there were 7 different types of parcel roller cancels for Hobart from 1935 to 1994, and 4 different for Launceston from 1946 to 1994.
A number of other of the larger POs used rollers incuding Glenorchy, Moonah, Rosny Park and other but I dont have details at present.
Maybe others with more information an assist?
Personally I have not found them easy to collect, even all of the common ones form Hobart and Launceston.

I do have a number of reasonable images so if you are still looking for information by the end of October please feel free to get in touch and I will check what I have when I return home.

Pete

bifuller

#3 Post by bifuller » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:34 pm

Thank you for the offer. I am amalgamating Colin Salt's with my own but the POST you indicated suggests someone in the Auction House removed some of Colin's material.

Luckily it is posted so some record of it exists.

As TAS only has a few rollers why don't you list them from 1-13 , show the distinct roller, then put a date of use to it. Infinitely easier than what I have seen on P Reids' P from A paper and the POSTS where no scans are shown?

Trying to be too technical in the first instance by measuring them is complicated and messy then cataloguing them by this method adds nothing to the roller used as each is basically unique! May have from 1-7 but the design because of the name used is unique.

David Wood in his extremely extensive Victorian Roller collection has divided the one type roller used in a specific office into many aspects from time/LDL/SDL/measurements etc. His $55py cancellation website indicates these. Again each roller is unique.

I have one roller Reid Fig 6 T1 (P from A) TAS.3 where it has been reused in FEB71 with a small date line. That can be T1B. Thus T1 remains the basic roller only for Hobart of that design.

Discussion sought please as Mr Hardinge in 2016 approx according to Ross E is to publish a paper(?) on them. I have no idea as to its format.

The Customs rollers Reid T9 were presupposed to be used by an AP employee tasked with using that device when all was cleared. The Melbourne International MC had Customs staff and they ABSOLUTELY separated the function. In discussion with Customs people back in the 1970/80s they assured me NO AP person would do their job! It covered quarantine and well as duty etc. I suspect the roller was not used by an AP person in Burnie, Hobart, or Launceston. The same rules apply at the current Gateway Facilities too. I suspect the rollers may be in the Customs Museum that was housed in Melbourne. I conclude it is NOT an AP device.

bifuller

#4 Post by bifuller » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:59 pm

My apologies folks.

I dobbed Reid in as the P from A author when it is actually: Tasmania : Parcels Cancellations by P B Edwards Philately from Australia Vol 37 No 1 March 1985 pp 18 - 24.

He covers: Steel CDS, Rubber CDS, Rubber Oval Date Stamps, Rectangular Rubber Date stamps, and Roller Cancellers.

Brian Fuller

admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by admin » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:54 am

Brian,
The publication you refer to by John Hardinge is the complete listing of all Tasmanian postmarks from early days circa 1820s to around 2,000.
It includes primitive types, steel cds, rubbers, rollers and various other types as you would expect.
It will show rarity ratings, early and late dates and other information.
Roller cancels will be lised under the appropriate PO as part of a much larger work .

We, the Tasmanian Philatelic Society are publishing it and it will be available for pre-order in early 2016, appearing later that year.
It will also include all Post Office openings andc losings, illustrations of all types and presents all known information for Tasmanian Postmarks in the one publictaion. Getting all information together in the one book is one of the main aims.

John has already published two volumes on Tasmanian Post Marks starting in the Commonwealth Period 1913. These are well out of print.
I dont know Reid's classification off the top of my head so cant comment on this.

Nor have I seen Edwards PfA article but I would be most interested.
As I mentioned I am happy to share whatever Tasmanian roller cancels I have when I get home in October but cant do much more at the moment.
Pete

bifuller

#6 Post by bifuller » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi

I have scanned the P from A article by Edwards but it is seven pages long covering all the topics I listed. I do not know how to post it and the website might not appreciate the article. If anyone wants a scan please email me and I will oblige. bifuller@optusnet.com.au.

I do not have copies of previous published scribings in books or journals of the hand rollers by anyone other than what is posted on the Bulletin Board. If you wish to oblige please scan the relevant bits and email to me.

Thank you Brian

bifuller

#7 Post by bifuller » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:12 pm

Hi All

I originally sent a draft paper to some members with particular reference to Edwards Type 2 ie HOBART/TAS. but no numeral after the TAS.

I acquired today from an Exchange sheet what I hope is Type 2. It is a single head roller similar to type 1 and mine is dated 1954 fitting the description in PfromA by Edwards. Consequently the draft has been updated to delete some of my observations and recognize Type 2.

Thank you

Brian