Dates of use of the 2½d Pictorial

New members may like to introduce themselves and tell the Board about their collecting intereets
maniacmick

Dates of use of the 2½d Pictorial

#1 Post by maniacmick » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:20 pm

Comrades
The dates on used 2½d Pictorials can be very difficult to identify against the dark background. I have several that I'm trying to allocate to particular datestamp types for various offices. Can anyone advise the known range dates of use of this stamp please? It seems to me that it was used only very occasionally after 1903, but I may be wrong and it may be known used in larger quantities until much later. In October 1904 when 'T' perforations were made, none of the 2½d were perforated, and this fact might be significant.
The advice of collectors more knowlegeable than me is much appreciated.
Michael Nibbs

John Campton

Re: Dates of use of the 2½d Pictorial

#2 Post by John Campton » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:24 pm

Hello Michael,

Firstly I am not an authority on Pictorials and have only been collecting seven years. However I do collect Pictorials as my main philatelic passion, cds on Pictorials and most things Pictorial. I have had a quick look through some of my collection and the 2 1/2d was still used in both Hobart and Launceston on a regular basis through 1903 but peters out at those offices thereafter. This was a very popular stamp as it was the overseas rate. From memory only 480,000 were printed. Stock in smaller offices were most likely used at a slower rate and you never know who had one at home ready for use at a later date. As an example I have seen cds on Pictorials with Vic paper (V over Crown) being used well after the introduction of the Commonwealth paper (crown over A).

As regards the "T" perforations on the 2 1/2d , they were perforated and I have two examples both used at Hobart March and April 1904. They are scarce but obtainable if you want to wait and keep your eyes open.

As regards late use of the 2 1/2d I have one used at Beaconsfield, type 2 cds, dated 10 JUL 11. Again I believe this was due to a supply located in the UK that was returned to the state for use. These TAS watermark (De la Rue) stamps make a reappearance around this time and the reason "T" perfs are found only on late use 1d De la Rue printings. I am sure if I went through my whole collection I would find the odd 2 1/2d used post 1904 but it would not be the norm. You are correct in that it is hard to decipher which office cds is on a 2 1/2d let alone a date.

I am not the eminent authority on this but failing a reply from other sources felt I would like to share what I do know.

Kind regards John C (NB also 66)