Introduction

New members may like to introduce themselves and tell the Board about their collecting intereets
Bmjones

Introduction

#1 Post by Bmjones » Sat May 23, 2020 2:30 pm

I have just become aware of this forum and thank you for allowing me to join. I understand that my home on Cascade Road in South Hobart was the Cascade/South Hobart Post Office between approximately 1888-1919. I am therefore very interested in any information, or photographs of the Cascade Post Office from this time, that members of this forum may care to share. Thanks very much, Ben

admin
Site Admin

Re: Introduction

#2 Post by admin » Sat May 23, 2020 7:03 pm

Welcome, Ben.
I've posted some information under our Postal History to 1912 category http://tps.org.au/bb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1399.
Collectors tend to collect the datetsamps from Post Offices on stamps or envelopes and these have been well recorded for Tasmania. Post Offices openings, closings and name changes are well recorded for Tasmania as well. Someone may know other Postmasters in addition to the names I was able to find.

There's a chance you could find further information on the Post Office Index cards held by the Tas Museum Archives - they have cards with lists of correspondence between head office and post offices so there just might be something.
I do keep my eye out for post office images but have never seen one of South Hobart. Just maybe the Tas Archives office on-line photo collection might have something.

I hope this helps. Others may know more.

Pete