Hi from Adelaide

New members may like to introduce themselves and tell the Board about their collecting intereets
Peter57

Hi from Adelaide

#1 Post by Peter57 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:12 am

I have just joined and am pleased to be part of your organisation. I have worked in post offices and have a keen interest in Australian stamps and collectibles. I have a particular interest in post office date stamps of the style prior to the current Australia Post date stamps.
Nice to be onboard.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Hi from Adelaide

#2 Post by admin » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:46 am

Welcome Peter. Good to have you as a member.
If you are interested in Tasmanian datestamps you may be interested in the following publication if you have not already seen it https://tasstampbooks.com/book-details/.

We also have some images of Tasmanian datestamps which came on the market a while back https://www.tps.org.au/references-2/tas ... andstamps/

You will find various references and articles on our website as well under the 'reference' tab.

Pete

Peter57

#3 Post by Peter57 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:12 pm

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply and info. I have just ordered John’s book about date stamps and am keen to read it. Do you know where I can advertise for a date stamp here on the mainland? Do I advertise on each state philatelic website?
Am enjoying reading the posts here.
Regards,
Peter

admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by admin » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:57 pm

Peter, in my somewhat limited experience, original datestamps only come on the market very rarely.
The items on the TPS website were from a one-off find by a member of the public who knew what they were. Usually, old datestamps would be destroyed or re-used by the Postal Authority and circumstances around their appearance on the market are a little vague. I have only seen one or two such lots come up at the Tasmanian Stamp Auctions website since I have had some interest - over the last 15 years. Likewise, I don't see them on Philatelic Auction sites or eBay.
One very old datestamp (Type 1) complete with date slugs in the original box did come up once at a general auction in Tas but that's very rare. Its illustrated on the cover of one of our earlier Couriers. All our Barred Numeral handstamps are supposed to have been dumped in the Derwent though one or two might still be in the hands of collectors.

I guess if you keep an eye on the Australian Philatelic auction houses and eBay you might occasionally see something. You could email the State Philatelic Councils but bear in mind they are umbrella bodies and so do not have staff as such and only meet infrequently. They would probably refer you on elsewhere. Maybe try emailing some of the bigger clubs around Australia but it will be fairly hit and miss.

Pete

Peter57

#5 Post by Peter57 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:49 pm

Thanks for that info, Pete. Interesting reading.
Well, I’ll keep fossicking and I’ll see what happens. :-)