Introducing John J.

New members may like to introduce themselves and tell the Board about their collecting intereets
jorija

Introducing John J.

#1 Post by jorija » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:06 am

Hello everybody, I'm returning to TPS after a long absence, which started in 1974 when I was posted to teach in Queenstown, and hence couldn't take an active part in TPS any more. A stamp collector from the age of 10, I attended meetings in the old room in Liverpool St with my father, Kjeld, who was Hon. Sec. for many years (ultimately a life member) and I soon developed a keen interest, particularly in Tasmania.
Thanks to online auction sites, I returned to the hobby about 7 years ago, but until I retired a year ago I was too busy to devote much time to my hobby.
It was really good to attend my first meeting for many years. Brought back lots of good memories!
I collected Tasmania, with some emphasis on revenues, specimens and reprints, from about age 15, but have been disposing of parts of this collection over the past few years, as I feel it's unfair to leave this specialized task to my family when the inevitable happens (hopefully many years from now). I have begun several other collections over the years - Russia, Space and Nazi Occupied Europe, but I am currently considering the future of at least one of these collections.
As a kid I vividly remember buying stamps from Bill Orchard at his shop in upper Elizabeth St (almost opposite "Westella") and from Tom & Jim Petterd's business in West Hobart. The stocks they had of Tasmanian reprints were amazing. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to buy them by the sheet, though!
I look forward to many years in our wonderful hobby... It's great to be a member again!
Last edited by jorija on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ross Ewington

Re: Introducing John J.

#2 Post by Ross Ewington » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi John,

Welcome to the TPS "Everything Tasmanian" online forum and welcome back to the TPS!

Your first "Tasmanian Post" is most interesting and I expect that your query (re the Specimen overprints)
will receive some useful responses quite soon.

http://tps.org.au/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=253

Hopefully, this online forum will rekindle your interest in Tasmanian stamps and postal history!! :idea:

All the best with your future posts and collecting interests!

Ross Ewington

P.S. there's a photo of Bill Orchard with Tom Petterd in our "Philatelists and Stamp Dealers of Yesteryear" thread

http://tps.org.au/bb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=208#p774

John Shepherd

#3 Post by John Shepherd » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Welcome (back) John J

Revenuer

#4 Post by Revenuer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi John

After a shaky start i look forward to many more posts from you. It was also good to chat to you.

Cheers

Dave
Please visit my oz revenues web site: http://www.ozrevenues.com and don't forget "Illegitimi non carborundum"

jorija

#5 Post by jorija » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:21 am

Thanks Ross, John and Dave. I'm sure I will read much of interest and hope I can make meaningful contributions to the body of knowledge on this subject, despite my long absence from the scene.

Cheers

John J