Introducing myself

New members may like to introduce themselves and tell the Board about their collecting intereets
David Farmer

Introducing myself

#1 Post by David Farmer » Sun May 16, 2010 9:30 am

Greetings All,
I’ve recently renewed an old interest in philately. Currently in the final stages of proofing a photography book on Tasman Peninsula-photography by Mike Langford, twice Australian Landscape Photographer of the Year-and naturally this led to an interest in all things to do with the peninsula. I purchased a small selection of cards from Ross Ewington to kick off. Ross included a card directing me to this forum- thanks Ross. I was a geologist for 10 years so I have also started a thematic collection based around Australian mining and am finding all manner of oddities in European auctions.

I will be an active reader of TPSBB but being a novice it’s unlikely I will have much to contribute for some time. I will though need help from time to time

I live and work in the Barossa valley as a wine merchant and wine is a topic I do know a great deal about. Maybe I can help in fund raising.

David Farmer

Peter Allan

Re: Introducing myself

#2 Post by Peter Allan » Sun May 16, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi David,
welcome to the TPS Bulletin Board. Tasman peninsula is indeed an interesting place with interesting postal history, particularly if you are interested in Convict mail ( although extremely scare and rather expensive I should add). You might find it interesting to seek out some postmarks. Apart form the ubiquitous Eaglehawk Neck there are quite a few State period and Commonwealth period postmarks on stamp or cover you could pick up, including some nice ones on Tas Pictorials such as Murdunna, Norfolk Bay, Tarrana, Saltwater River and quite a few others.
I expect you would find the West Coast of Tasmania a very fertile ground for a thematic Australina Mining collection - its worth checking out the Post Card section on the Board if you have not already done so.
Feel free to ask any questions - people here are generous with their advice.
Pete ( also site Administration if you have any queries)