New members may like to introduce themselves and tell the Board about their collecting intereets
Maria Grist

#1 Post by Maria Grist » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:16 am

Hi there

Introducing myself. My main interest is collecting postcards and photographs of Mt Wellington, Tasmania, particulary images and information involving the history of the mountain. I am currently working on a book on the huts and other historical uses of the mountain, particulary during the hut-building period (between around a decade before and a decade or two after 1900). My web site is at http://www.jandmgrist.com. It contains only a very brief introduction to the huts. My husband and I have been involved in field research on the Mountain for several decades.

admin
Site Admin

Re: New member

#2 Post by admin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:13 pm

Dear Maria,
Welcome to the Tas Philatelic Society Bulletin Board. I hope you find it useful.
As you would imagine, this forum is about Tasmanian stamps, postal history and related topics. We do have some Post Card collectors with very large collections of Tasmanian Post Cards, including the Mt Wellington huts.
I do have some interest in the history of Mt Wellington, having lived at Ferntree for some years, but no real knowledge of this topic.
From a Postal History point of view, there was a Post Office at Ferntree from 1870, and a Post Office at the Springs from 1891, although it was at first just a telegraph Office, and later only operated during the Summer . Any Postmarks from The Springs are very scarce and rather valuable. There was also a Post Office at Neika from Jan 1913 to 1969.
I dont know if you have seen many Postcards showing scenes around Mt Wellington but there were a large number, produced from the very early 1900s onwards.
One of our best Card producers, R. C. Harvey was a member of the Hobart Walking club and the Field Nats, and took photos all around Mt Wellington, many turned into Post Cards from abut 1904 through until the 1930s. I have included one below, a view of the Mountain from Waterworks Rd, early 1900s.
I suggest if you have a particular interest ( for instance, Mountain Huts ?), start a topic in the relevant section ( Postcards ? ) and maybe others may have something to contribute - but please bear in mind this forum is more about Tasmania philately specifically than history in general.

Pete

Boy-Waterworks-Rd.jpg
Boy-Waterworks-Rd.jpg (140.8 KiB) Viewed 1022 times