John Campton not quiet a new member

New members may like to introduce themselves and tell the Board about their collecting intereets
John Campton

John Campton not quiet a new member

#1 Post by John Campton » Tue May 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Good evening,
after being a member of TPS for eighteen months it is about time I put my head, had a look around and declared my interests. My wife, Gael, I retired two and a half years ago after seventeen years of self employment, and after prompting by David Newell (a past CBA colleague) I joined TPS.

I have been a stamp collector (not of any note) most of my life but only became "serious" in 2008 as the kids left home. While the collections are eclectic (German Lost Colonies featuring the Kaisers Yacht, Swiss Pro Juventa/Pro Patria, Germany to 1948, NWPI (Roo and KGV), early Papua etc, Omnibus to 1953) my passion is Australiana and more specifically Tasmania.

Because of the material available and finacial restraints I have been concentrating on the Tasmanian Pictorial issues and the CDS of the post offices during that period. Currently while trying to fill in the many gaps of missing CDS, and relative values, I have started doing a complete history of each post office operating during the Pictorial Period. This is to include the CDS type, rarity rating, postmasters, inks, varieties, post office/locale history, opening, closing and its current status. I hope to combine the many works that will enable the novice to see at a glance what the Circular Date Stamp on that Pictorial really means. To me, I have been to many of these places as a kid with my father, they have a connection. Some post offices are now just regrowth arears, others have amazing history. Its facinating, its a challenge. And I enjoy a challenge. Hope to finish it because it is on my "Bucket List".

Bear with me during the "challenge". JC