Introduction MichaelH

New members may like to introduce themselves and tell the Board about their collecting intereets
MichaelH

Introduction MichaelH

#1 Post by MichaelH » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:40 pm

My name is Michael Holmes and for several years I have been researching Tasmania's Ghost Towns and Settlements the aim being to document such in order to self publish a comprehensive book.

The book will include hard evidence of the existence [and in some cases the intended existence] of many places which have disappeared or are un-recognisable from their 'glory' days.
One key measure of the existence of a Town or [larger] settlement is a Post Office so tracking Post Offices has been an important and interesting part of my research.

I am at the stage where I am gathering photos and permission to publish such, and would appreciate any information on the town of Darwin which was south of Gormanston on Tasmania's west coast.
Darwin had a railway station and the town was proclaimed around 1901. It housed workers who supplied firewood for the Mt Lyell smelters at Queenstown.
Any leads on any other similar old towns/settlements would also be appreciated.

Ross Ewington

Re: Introduction MichaelH

#2 Post by Ross Ewington » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:17 pm

Welcome Michael!

A most interesting and timely project. I wish you well with it and hope that TPS BB members can assist ...especially
the postcard and/or postmark collectors.

regards, Ross Ewington - TPS BB Moderator