Bassett Hull's Tasmania

John Shepherd

Bassett Hull's Tasmania

#1 Post by John Shepherd » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:31 pm

This classic work is seen with a number of different bindings. I recall that the TPS example is bound in green with gold lettering. Blue binding has also been seen. I seem to recall an example bound in brown.

The book was of course published by the Royal Philatelic Society of London. I have a theory that the originals published in London had one type of binding. Bassett Hull may have had another batch in Hobart that were bound locally.

Then over the years collectors may have had their private copy rebound.

Where the TPS copy was purchased from has probably been lost in the mists of time.

Where the London copies bound in blue and the Tasmanian copies bound in green?

John Shepherd

Re: Bassett Hull's Tasmania

#2 Post by John Shepherd » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:32 pm

Cavendish have a Bassett Hull Tasmania in their auction of 27 March 2010 bound in blue:

2608 TASMANIA
BASSETT HULL - 1890 The Stamps of Tasmania. A history of the Postage Stamps, Envelopes, Post Cards, Adhesive and Impressed Revenue, and Excise Stamps of Tasmania; includes map (archival tape repaired tear) and the 9 plates. Bound into blue buckram this copy is in excellent condition (title page has toned). The last copy we can find offered sold for AUS$1,450. Scarce. £400

David Newell

#3 Post by David Newell » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:39 pm

My copy is in brown, published by the Philatelic Society, London (note absence of "Royal" in name), dated 1890 and prefaced September 1890.

64idgaf

#4 Post by 64idgaf » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:24 am

My copy (purchased from RW a couple of years ago) is brown, as is the copy he has in his March 2015 sale.

I'll check the binding of the RPSoV copy when I next get the chance.