The Courier turns 50

admin
Site Admin

The Courier turns 50

#1 Post by admin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:04 pm

The 50th Edition of TPS Journal, The Courier was published in January this year. TPS members should have their copy by now.
To mark this rather historic occasion, a special Issue was prepared running to 48 pages pages rather than the usual 28 and including 12 articles.
This Edition is the second Courier TPS has produced in full colour and contains quite a wide range of articles.
The contents are shown below but I draw your attention to a few articles that are definitive in that they cover areas of significant importance and are the result of much research over quite a period of time.
Tasmania's Registered straight-line handstamp - David McNamee
Postage Due markings on outgoing mails of Tasmania 1891 - 1965 - Patrick Reid
Tasmanian Relief Postmarkers - John Hardinge. Includes rarity ratings and is the first ( as far as I know), and a very complete, work on this topic
Paper thickness varieties for Courier Issues - Koichi Sato
Tasmanian Second Allocation Numerals and Obliterators - A study, part ii. Contains a rarity rating for Tas Bared Numerals , by far the most recent and up-to-date. The final part to be printed in the June Courier.
Other no less interesting articles include:
Tasmania: The Platypus revisited - Francis Kiddle
Crash Mail King Island - Rod Perry
Letter following the siezure of L'Anson estate in Van Diemen's Land - Brian Peace
The Chief Office date Stamp: Addendum - Peter Allan
Tasmania: Courier reprints revisited - Neil Russell
Reissue of Tasmanian Stamps in the early Commonwealth era - Bill Lloyd-Smith
1d Pictorial Variety - White dot in Right Value Tablet - Wolfgang W. A. Kielmann
This Edition is available to TPS members as part of their membership. Its also possible to buy Courier No 50 for $19.95 plus postage. I will put details on the TPS website shortly but in the meantime please send me an email or PM if you would like more information or would like to buy a copy. NB - a copy of the complete and up-to-date Courier subject Index will be provided with No 50 free of charge - see separate topic. The Cumulative index has recently been up-dated through the much-appreciated efforts of David McNamee. Details here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=580

Peter Allan