Maria Island - photographs, letters, ephemera

KathyG

Maria Island - photographs, letters, ephemera

#1 Post by KathyG » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Hello. My area of research is Maria Island. I have written one book on the Robeys of Maria Island (Viv and Hilda), and am currently developing some interpretation material for a client on Darlington. I am keen to see or obtain copies of photographs that are not in the public domain, or letters, maps, diaries, artwork, ephemera or any items that would give insight into past lives and stories of the island. My intention is to eventually write a comprehensive history of Maria Island.
I should add that I have already amassed a great deal of information already, so am also happy to share information if anyone has a personal interest.
Thanks everyone!
Kind regards,
Kathy

Hobbit123

Re: Maria Island - photographs, letters, ephemera

#2 Post by Hobbit123 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:33 am

Kathy

I note that you do not include postcards in your request. I presume that you have examples of most that are known?

KathyG

#3 Post by KathyG » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:59 pm

Well, actually, I can't be sure that I have Hobbit. I do have the colour Spurling postcard, and the others (Beattie, etc) I have seen or copies are digitalised and available. I've never seen any other Spurling postcards, or photographs, of Maria, but if he was on the island and took one, he probably took more.

admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by admin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi Kathy,
You are possibly aware of this. In our ( The TPS) Journal , The Courier No 40, Dec 2005, Postal Historian Randall Askeland wrote an article on the postal history of Tasmania's Islands and there is a page of information on Maria Island, mostly illustrations of postmarks and one Post Card sent form Maria Island. He provided the opening nd closing dtes for the Post Office there. If you have any interest you can contact me using the message facility on this Bulletin Board.
I have alos posted an image of a Post Card from Maria showing the settlement at Darlington here in the Postcard section. Its by R. C. Harvey and is a very sharp real photo card. Heres the link but it seems you have probably already found this. http://tps.org.au/bb/viewtopic.php?f=6& ... ards#p1509

KathyG

#5 Post by KathyG » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Thank you! Have PMed you.
Kathy