Wanted - information on Australian Provinicial Assurance Association wrapper

Postagedues

Wanted - information on Australian Provinicial Assurance Association wrapper

#1 Post by Postagedues » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:29 pm

I have this parcel or wrapper fragment and am trying to fin a complete item, so I can tell if it is a wrapper or a package fragment.

I presume it is a wrapper for an insurance policy.

Ross Ewington

Re: Wanted - information on Australian Provinicial Assurance Association wrapper

#2 Post by Ross Ewington » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:20 pm

This appears to be part of a cover front ...why do you presume that it's part of a wrapper or is a parcel clipping??

Postagedues

Re: Wanted - information on Australian Provinicial Assurance Association wrapper

#3 Post by Postagedues » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:59 pm

Ross,

I ws just assuming it was a wrapper for a policy document. I guess I am trying to determine if the deficiency is based on it being a parcel or something posted at the printed matter rate.

John

Ross Ewington

#4 Post by Ross Ewington » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:20 am

It was common practice* during the 1920s/60s period for mail with a postage deficiency addressed to large businesses to be placed on a single (daily) docket with the item 'on top' having the full amount in postage dues affixed when the addressee (or their agent) paid up. This is only one explanation for postage dues being used to pay larger amounts of deficient postage of course and your item may certainly have been from a taxed parcel however I believe it is important to explore all possibilities before searching for a specific type of mail article.

P.S. this practice occurred at the Hobart GPO and Launceston post office at least.

P.P.S. does this item have part of a Tasmanian postmark under the p/dues? The Australian Provincial Assurance Association did have an office in Hobart during the 1920s/30s period (trying to find the "Tasmanian Connection" re your query)

Postagedues

#5 Post by Postagedues » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:57 pm

Ross,

There was no Tasmanian aspect. The office constructed by The Austraian Provincial Asurance Association is where the Lindt Cafe is now, in Martin Pl.

John

Ross Ewington

#6 Post by Ross Ewington » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:39 pm

...that was a most subtle attempt as Moderator to keep posts related (as much as possible) to "everything Tasmanian" :)