1d typo pictorial flaw identification Plate 1

Please post anything about Tasmanian Stamps in this forum
rsingle

1d typo pictorial flaw identification Plate 1

#1 Post by rsingle » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:39 am

Hi

I have been working on a project to set up a pictorial plating guide for the 1d pictorial typo plates. I originally thought it would be reasonably straightforward basing it on the book by K Lancaster. Not so!!

I am setting up this thread in the hope of getting help, feedback and confirmation on the various positions and with identification and positioning of flaws not covered on the book.

A couple of opening queries.

1. I posted this in my introduction and a member asked me to put it here as he has some feedback.

This stamp has a small nick in the top left of the right ferns and a downward spur from the second barb up into the vignette frame. I have 10 copies so far with dated copies from 15/1/12 to 22/5/12. Plate 5 or 6.

2. This refers to the plating in the book, the left stamp is plated as:
Plate 2 #54
"A major repair showing a marked outward distortion of the left column from 4 mm to 12 mm above base frame."

Image This scan is from the left stamp below.

The flaw is present on the left stamp of this pair so is either a similar flaw on another position or the plating is incorrect as position 54 is at the end of a row. I have five copies dated from 1/5/03 to 3/9/03. There are no watermark lines on any of the copies.

Any help would be appreciated.

Richard
Last edited by rsingle on Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry Weirich

Re: 1d typo pictorial flaw identification

#2 Post by Jerry Weirich » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:41 am

Richard -- Your first flaw is Plate 5, Position 13. I was able to find the flaw in several blocks and strips. One of the blocks is attached here to prove position 13. Please note that I have cropped the block in the scan to maximize space considerations and provide the largest possible scan. Due to the scale of the scan, the flaw is small but apparent in the lower right cropped stamp. Lancaster does describe this flaw as 5/13, but with a very obtuse description. I would not have considered that description for the flaw if I didn't have a block proving the position. I also consulted another reference on the pictorials J.R.W. Purves' "The Technique of the Tasmanian Pictorials" which appeared in The London Philatelist in 1930. Purves article is primarily on the printing techniques of the pictorial issues, but he does list some plate flaws and this flaw is one of them. Combining his description and Lancaster's, I'm convinced they are describing this flaw. In addition, Lancaster's description for position 3 (the stamp immediately above position 13) is consistent with the flaws on that stamp which provides further evidence. I've added a scan of Position 3 as well.
Plate 5, Pos 1-3, 11-13 resized.jpg
Plate 5, Pos 1-3, 11-13 resized.jpg (130.59 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
Plate 5, Pos 3 Flaw.jpg
Plate 5, Pos 3 Flaw.jpg (24.1 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
I have not researched your second flaw but will look at my material as see what I find. One point, however, is that on the vertical pictorials, position 54 is at the end of a column and not a row meaning that the flaw on the left stamp of your pair could still be position 54.

I'll let you know if I find anything. Jerry

Jerry Weirich

#3 Post by Jerry Weirich » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:22 am

Richard -- I did a very quick check of my plated 1d typo stamps. I came across one single that I had marked as Plate 2, Position 54 and dated 9 December 1902. It shows the same flaws along the left side of the stamp. It also has the V over Crown watermark sideways and show a marginal watermark line at the bottom. I always like to confirm the positions with blocks and strips that show the flaws with other confirmed positions, but I think your identification of 2/54 is accurate. Jerry

rsingle

#4 Post by rsingle » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:46 pm

Jerry.
Fantastic, exactly the sort of help I was hoping for when starting this. Unfortunately I only have one block and a number of doubles so far, on the look out for more! Just many thousand used copies.
I was clearly still in KGV mode thinking of position 54 being at the end of the row!
Is there any chance of getting a scan of this block of yours somehow, at 1200dpi if possible? There are two others with listed minor flaws so would like to have a closer look.

I am hoping to confirm the platings for all positions whenever possible, hence this thread.

Richard

Jerry Weirich

#5 Post by Jerry Weirich » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:52 am

Richard -- Yes, I can send you a scan or series of scans. The scans that I posted are at 1200 dpi so that's not a problem. The problem may be getting them to you since email won't work for that size (learned from experience trying to get graphics to Australia). I'll send you a private message from this bulletin board to work out the details. Jerry

rsingle

#6 Post by rsingle » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:31 pm

Over the next few weeks I will post the flaws I have identified from plates 1 & 2. Plating is based primarily on the descriptions in the book by K Lancaster, if anyone has a block confirming these positions I would greatly appreciate confirmation of the platings.

There are a number of flaws I have been unable to locate, I will note these as I go through and if anyone is able to help with copies I can add them to the final checklist. It is my intention to make the checklists freely available to members of the TPS.

Plate 1 # 1 is well covered in a separate thread "1d Pictorial with the VOLCANO variety"

I only have a heavily postmarked copy of the retouch so if anyone is prepared to let me have a scan of the original flaw and the retouch it would be appreciated.

Plate 1 # 2
Description from K Lancaster

"Tiny white barb on the left of ‘I’ of ‘TASMANIA’; and white dot at left of right panel opposite mountain skyline."

Image Image

I have dated copies from 4/7/03 to 8/2/04.

Plate 1 # 3

"A horizontal white dash just above ‘I’ of ‘TASMANIA’"

Three flaws:

Horizontal white dash over 'I' of 'TASMANIA'

Small nick in centre of right ferns.

White flaw in water 6mm from left frame and 8mm from bottom frame.

Image Image

Dated copies from 28/1/03 to 6/1/04.

Plate 1 # 4

"A curved white lineal flaw at upper right of last ‘A’ of ‘TASMANIA’; and two prominent white dots in sky at right"

Spur on upper right of last 'A' of 'TASMANIA' with two dots above it and white flaw on colour above right.

Two dots in sky at right. One 7mm from top frame and 4mm from right frame and the other 8½mm from top frame and 4½mm from right frame.

Three small white spots top right of first 'A' of 'TASMANIA'

Image Image

Dated copies from 3/1/03 to 11/8/03.

Richard

Jerry Weirich

#7 Post by Jerry Weirich » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:00 am

Richard -- I have copies of these flaws and they are identified as you have identified them, but I do not have any multiples attaching any of these three positions. Nevertheless, I believe they are positioned correctly. Since we're discussing positions 2-4, I do have a pair of positions 4 and 5 and have attached a scan of it here showing just the flaws on both.
Plate 1, Pos 4-5 Cropped.jpg
Plate 1, Pos 4-5 Cropped.jpg (451.98 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
I'll send you scans of position 1 (volcano flaw and retouch) separately. Jerry

rsingle

#8 Post by rsingle » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:06 am

Thank you again Jerry. This helps confirm the position 5 below.

Plate 1 # 5

Description from K Lancaster:

" White spot in shading above top right ornamental ferns 2 mm inside right frame."

Dated copy 1/7/04 (Has horizontal watermark)

Plate 1 # 6

'Tiny white dot in top right sky 2½ mm below right diagonal of last ‘A’ or ‘TASMANIA’."

Located 5½mm from top frame and 6mm from right frame.

Dated 1/7/03

Plate 1 # 7

"Tiny white dot in sky just to right of and on level with the mountain top."

Dated 28/1/03 - 27/7/03

Jerry Weirich

#9 Post by Jerry Weirich » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:10 am

I have one block with positions 6-7,16-17 and have scanned the top two stamps to confirm their relationship to each other. Unfortunately, the flaws on the block are not very clear and the hole in the perf T almost obliterates the break near the peak but it is there (barely!) just above the last hole.
Plate 1, Pos 6-7 cropped.jpg
Plate 1, Pos 6-7 cropped.jpg (492.85 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
On position 7, the stamp in the block and another single I have also show two other flaws. I have scanned those flaws below. I would like to know if they are also on your copies of this position. The reason is that I have a third stamp which shows the break in sky shading just to right of and level with the mountain peak but does not show the other two flaws. I have tentatively included this stamp with my position 7 stamps, but if the other two flaws are constant (and I don't have the material to prove or disprove it) then there is another position with the same flaw and one will need to be careful allocating this flaw just to position 7. [It's also possible that the flaws disappeared over the course of many printings, but I believe that is unlikely in this case.] These additional flaws are 1) a break in the vertical shading above the upper right floral ornament, and 2) a color bulge on the left side of the right vertical scroll frame.
Plate 1, Pos 7 with additional flaws.jpg
Plate 1, Pos 7 with additional flaws.jpg (111 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
Here is the scan of the stamp that shows the break in sky shading just to right of and level with the mountain peak but does not show the other two flaws.
Plate 1, Pos 7 (poss) without other flaw.jpg
Plate 1, Pos 7 (poss) without other flaw.jpg (145.1 KiB) Viewed 2914 times

rsingle

#10 Post by rsingle » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:55 am

Jerry

I think we may be looking at two different positions, I have examples of both and the position of the spot is marginally different on each.

I will contact you with copies through dropbox so we can review.

Richard

rsingle

#11 Post by rsingle » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:42 am

Plate 1 # 7
This has been revised following review, there appear to be two positions with the dot to the right of the mountain at fractionally different positions. The second version will be reposted following the completion of plate 2 with other unidentified flaws.

This description is confirmed as 1-7 by the pair posted above by Jerry.

"Tiny white dot in sky just to right of and on level with the mountain top."

Three flaws:

Tiny white dot in sky just to right of and on level with the mountain top.

White flaw above right ferns 2.5mm from top right corner.

Colour flaw in downwards scroll line 14mm from top frame.

Richard

rsingle

#12 Post by rsingle » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:08 am

Plate 1 # 9

"Nick in solid colour below left upright of ‘M’ of ‘TASMANIA’."

Two flaws:
Nick in solid colour below left upright of ‘M’ of ‘TASMANIA’
Small crescent shaped mark at top of shading above 'NI' of 'TASMANIA'

I have dated copies from 27/5/03 to 28/8/03

Plate 1 # 10

"Nick in top frame at upper right of ‘S’."

Two flaws:
Nick in top frame above upper right of 'S' of 'TASMANIA' 10mm from top left corner.
White dot in sky below first 'A' of 'TASMANIA' 4mm below top frame and 8½mm from left frame.

I have dated copies from 15/12/02 to 15/9/03

Plate 1 # 12

"Vague white spot inside right of right column 11 mm above base frame."

I have been unable to positively identify a copy of this, if anyone can help please let me know, I would appreciate a scan.

Richard

Jerry Weirich

#13 Post by Jerry Weirich » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:54 am

I have one block showing positions 9-10, 19-20 and have scanned the top stamps to confirm their relationship to each other. I will send you via Dropbox a full scan of the block so you can examine positions 19-20. I also have not confirmed a position 12.
Plate 1, Pos 9-10 flaws.jpg
Plate 1, Pos 9-10 flaws.jpg (261.85 KiB) Viewed 2902 times

rsingle

#14 Post by rsingle » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:16 am

There are a few question marks on this next group.

Plate 1 # 19

No flaw noted by K Lancaster.

Position is confirmed from a block supplied by Jerry.

Small white flaw on top of the right base of the 'T' of 'TASMANIA'. I have located this on three copies dated December 02 and January 03.

Plate 1 # 20

No flaw noted by K Lancaster.

Position is confirmed from a block supplied by Jerry.

The colour flaw in the sky is possible a one-off inking flaw. Does any one have a copy with the same marking?

There is also a fine break in the right ornamental scroll.

Image Image

Plate 1 # 24

White spot in water to left of the middle of the top tree reflections.

This is the only copy I have located that meets the description. Confirmation would be appreciated.

Plate 1 # 25

White spot on left side of right column 17 mm above base frame.

This is the only copy I have located that meets the description. Confirmation would be appreciated.

Plate 1 # 26

A circular white dot under right ‘d’.

Richard

Jerry Weirich

#15 Post by Jerry Weirich » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:51 am

Richard -- I have located one stamp (top stamp in a vertical pair) that matches Lancaster's description and the flaw you posted for position 24.
Possible Pos 24 cropped.jpg
Possible Pos 24 cropped.jpg (16.93 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
I have not found a position 25 or a flaw that matches the one you've posted. I agree with your position 26 flaw.

Jerry

rsingle

#16 Post by rsingle » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:02 am

Plate 1 # 30

White spot in shading under lower left of RVT (do not confuse with No. 44 of Plate 2).

Plate 1 # 31

White spot in sky 8½ mm below top frame and close to right column; and later a small white flaw at right of base of small central tree.

State 1

State 2 As above plus:

Plate 1 # 32

White spot just inside top left section of sky and 4½ mm below top frame.

Plate 1 # 36

Small white flaw in base of RVT under left of ‘l’.

This seems a very minor flaw, does anyone have a block that would confirm this?

Richard

rsingle

#17 Post by rsingle » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:17 am

Hi

As with all the previous postings any scans of multiples from plates 1 or 2 would be greatly appreciated, we have a number of unidentified flaws some of which may well be constant. Scans from any other plate equally welcome!

If you are able to help please contact me through the message board or e mail to rsingle at enchem dot co dot nz (use @ and . as appropriate!, I have written it in full to avoid spam bots!). I will set up a dropbox file to receive any scans (1200 dpi if possible).

Also, if you are interested in helping as we move forward please let me know, it has been a great help having the continued assistance and support of Jerry.

Richard

rsingle

#18 Post by rsingle » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:44 am

Plate 1 # 40

"A clear ‘C’ for ‘G’ in ‘WELLINGTON’ in 1902, but “Make ready” later eliminated ‘C’ appearance although ‘G’ still remained somewhat incomplete."

Plate 1 # 41

New flaw identified. 6 copies seen, position verified by bottom corner pair confirmed as plate 1.

Dates seen from 23/12/02 to 16/1/04.

Small white notch in colour line left of the left vignette frame line 12½mm above bottom frame.

Plate 1 # 42

"White flaw on top of small bush at extreme right of vignette."

Plate 1 # 43

"White flaw in the middle of the two white loops above ‘ON’ of ‘WELLINGTON’."

Plate 1 # 47

"White spot between the ‘I’ and ‘A’ of ‘TASMANIA’ and closer to the ‘A’."

Image Image

We have located only two copies, both slightly different, that match the description in the book. Both are shown above.

Can anyone help?

Richard

rsingle

#19 Post by rsingle » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:49 am

Plate 1 # 48

New plating. 5 copies seen and confirmed by pair with 1-49.

Dates seen from 29/10/02 to 20/5/03.

White flaw just above centre of base frame in LVT

Plate 1 # 49

White spot in shading midway between top of central tree and taller tree at right.

Plate 1 # 50

"Small white flaw on upper right of ‘N’ of ‘MOUNT’."

Small white flaw on upper right of ‘N’ of ‘MOUNT’

Plate 1 # 51

"Nick in right of left column 13½ mm above base frame. "

We have looked at several stamps from this position but none have shown this flaw. Does anyone have a copy?

Richard

rsingle

#20 Post by rsingle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:12 am

Plate 1 # 55

'White flaw in shading immediately above right half of central tree."

Image Image

Second flaw:

White flaw in sky at right of tall left tree top.

Plate 1 # 56

"The “broad tree” retouch. ln the first stage (January O3) a white flaw developed inside the central tree at the top of the visible trunk. The retouch occurred just prior to the upright watermark printing and increased the size of the tree materially into a broad circular shape with a short trunk. (Scarce in either state.) The book notes two retouches.

Image Image

Image Image

The first scan is the pre retouch flaw, the white spot in the tree.

The second scan shows the retouch with the trunk showing and the tree as a large coloured mass.

The third and fourth scans show the later deterioration as white mottled spots appear through the tree.

Richard

rsingle

#21 Post by rsingle » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:02 am

Plate 1 # 27

New Plating

Confirmed from 2 separate blocks.

Right frame: Small bulge in frame ½mm up from bottom right corner.

Care should be taken when plating this position as there is an identical flaw on stamps from plates 3 & 4 which has not yet been plated.

Wanted:

Have you seen this small flaw in the sky adjacent to the right vignette frame by the circular scroll.

We have a plating for this flaw but only one copy of it! If anyone has a copy please post it or contact me, we need more to classify it as constant.

Richard

rsingle

#22 Post by rsingle » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:31 am

1 # 38

There is now another copy of the flaw above which together with two other minor flaws enables the position to be confirmed as 1-38.

Image Image Image

White spot in sky adjacent to the right vignette frame by the circular scroll.

Minor damage to the shading in the bottom right corner.

'Mount Wellington' small white flaw breaking base of 'T'.

1 # 42

In addition to the flaw on the right bushes there are two copies showing a thick diagonal colour line in the '1' in the Left Value Tablet. This flaw is in the K Lancaster book as UCV viii " Coloured diagonal flaw in centre of left ‘1’."

Image Image

This flaw appears to be intermittent, one copy is dated May 03 the other is undated. It will be noted in the final report as a separate stage. Can anyone supply some more dates?

Thanks to Jerry for assistance with the two platings above.

Plate 2

Plate 2 will be started in a couple of weeks as a separate thread.

We still need any scans of pairs or blocks from these plates or if you have any unidentified plate 1/2 flaws please post them, or contact me, as there are still a number that we have been unable to plate or confirm with enough numbers as UCV's.

Richard