Plating 4 d Chalon Head

Please post anything about Tasmanian Stamps in this forum
songenaz

Plating 4 d Chalon Head

#1 Post by songenaz » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:42 pm

Hello everybody.
After few hours, starting to work on plating with 4d chalon head, I can say few things:
First, with a good magnifying glass or a good scan, it's possible with small knowledge to find details of the roller flaws.

Even the double line watermark printing is not so clear as the printing was not great. I can say it works with somme stamps of the government printing.
Roller flaws N°1 and N°2 on the left stamp and roller flaws N°2 on the next 3 stamps
Roller flaws N°1 and N°2 on the left stamp and roller flaws N°2 on the next 3 stamps
4 d Chalon, double line W, Govt Printing.jpg (161.22 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
As you can see on this strip of four, details of the roller flaws appear clearly.
Roller number two is on every stamp of the strip, means that , according to T.F. Petterd and V.J. Colbeck, in their study of Roller flaws of 4d. Perkins Bacon Plates of 1855, it could be place on line 3, position 30, 31, 32, 33.
Sure it must be confirmed , but the really good news is, that plating is possible also with double line watermark which give us definitely more material for study.
As an evidence, working on Star watermark an no watermark issue is definitely easier.
That's why, If some people have some pair, strip or block and would share with a scan their image, it will be really helpful.
I don't know (I ask the web master or administrator) if it's better to put on the board or to send me direct on my email adress, or maybe create a special place on the board...
however already big thanks to everybody for helping.
regards
laurent

admin
Site Admin

Re: Plating 4 d Chalon Head

#2 Post by admin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:05 pm

Good work Laurent. This is encouranging
As for the best way to provide images, I think it would be safest to send them to Laurent as our software that runs the forum may reduce the size of the image in some cases and he needs the biggest size he can get in order to see all the detail. 300 DPI scans are better than smaller ones and if you know how to enlarge them without affecting the quality , some limited enlargement would probably help.
If you could keep us informed Laurent we would be very grateful to hear about progress. Maybe even in time this is a good article for our journal, the Courier.
I will see what I can find and email them to you within a few days. I have more in lined watermark than star, and no pairs in no-watermark.
Pete ( Admin)

songenaz

#3 Post by songenaz » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:19 am

Hello everybody.
since few weeks, I try to find the key for plating Chalons 4 d
I need your help
On the work of Petterd and Colbeck, published in London Philatelist in November 1954 and reproduced on Tinsley's Book ( page 36),
flaws number 10 looks to be (1)small blue dot at the same level of Postage and also(2) blue dots INSIDE the two parallel lines on the right.
I have checked around 30 differents stamps with this flaw and it seems that these dots (2), are outsideof thes lines, just stick to the lower line.
here is a detail of this flaw
Chalons 4d flaws 10.jpg
Chalons 4d flaws 10.jpg (60.03 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
chalon 4d, flaws 10, detail.jpg
chalon 4d, flaws 10, detail.jpg (97.02 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
Is someone agree with me or may show us a stamp with the described flaw?
Also you can see on this detail that, amazingly two letters are written right of these lines: OB!
And last, there's a short white line just above U of FOUR..
All of these details prove again that plating Chalon 4d is possible and full of informations

songenaz

#4 Post by songenaz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:37 pm

Hello.
In order to confirm details on a stamp, I would like to ask if you have such a flaw on a Chalons 4d
RF2, RF4,N 17.jpg
RF2, RF4,N 17.jpg (142.22 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
RF2, RF4, N17, details.jpg
RF2, RF4, N17, details.jpg (719.66 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
This is a Double line 4 Watermark, Government printing.
it has Roller flaw Number 2 and 4

But the main flaw appear just above right eye, like U.
There is also few detail to confirm this:

Second square of lower right corner has a break in lower left corner.
Gutter on the left is totally full of blue ink
NSL letters have blue shade instead of white.

Please feel free to ask more information.
Thanks for your help
Laurent

songenaz

#5 Post by songenaz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:48 pm

Oups,
mistake with the details of the flaw, maybe to heavy?
What is the limit?
Here another try...
RF2, RF4, N17 detail.jpg
RF2, RF4, N17 detail.jpg (144.03 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
Thanks
laurent