Finding position on 4d Courier

Please post anything about Tasmanian Stamps in this forum
songenaz

Finding position on 4d Courier

#1 Post by songenaz » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:29 pm

Hello.
I know that 4d courier were plating, also I know there is two plates.
But where can I find information about different position?
I spent several minutes on the board, but found nothing about that.
Nothinf also in Tinsley's book.
Nothing also in previous edition of TPS Journal
Can you help please?

I want also to wish happy new year to everybody and also huge thanks for your help all over the year.
laurent

Malcolm Groom

Re: Finding position on 4d Courier

#2 Post by Malcolm Groom » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:38 am

Laurent,

I have searched my files and managed to find details for the 1d plating and I am fairly sure the same exists for the 4d but I cannot locate it. It is also likely to have appeared in 'The Victorian Philatelic Record' at some stage by the same author. Pat Malone was a noted collector of Tasmania from the period.

The 1928 article on the 1d is attached for your interest.

Malcolm
Courier plating article.pdf
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 156 times

Malcolm Groom

#3 Post by Malcolm Groom » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:08 am

Laurent,

A bit more searching has unearthed the 4d plating articles from 1929 also by Pat Malone

They are attached

Regards

Malcolm
4d Courier platings.pdf
(2.12 MiB) Downloaded 196 times

songenaz

#4 Post by songenaz » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:24 pm

Hi Malcolm,
Many thanks for this useful information.
It looks not so easy to use as a drawing but that's great.
Thanks again
Happy new year
laurent

RogerKinns

#5 Post by RogerKinns » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 pm

I have high definition digital copies of the defaced 4d Courier Plates I and II. These have been derived from very high quality prints by Bassett Hull. I have found them particularly helpful in my own plating studies. Note that Plates I and II are described as Plates B and C by Bassett Hull. Those in other books have used screen printing, which reduces their value as plating tools. It's worth noting that many specimens offered for sale as Plate I are actually Plate II. I have reduced their size by a factor of 4 in each dimension, so they can be accepted by the website. I hope the illustrations will still be helpful.
BassettHull,Plate1,reduced.jpg
BassettHull,Plate1,reduced.jpg (1022.75 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
BassettHull,Plate2,reduced.jpg
BassettHull,Plate2,reduced.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 3005 times
Roger Kinns

admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by admin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Roger,
Many thanks.
As the TPS has a copy of Bassett Hull, I could probably make a high-res scan of these and post to the Member's section of the TPS website as print-quaity PDFs so members could download a very detailed copy.
If anyone is interested, let me know.

Pete

RogerKinns

#7 Post by RogerKinns » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:57 pm

Pete,

I highly recommend your suggestion to other collectors! I usually copy a specimen I'm interested in plating at 1200 dpi and then search for a matching image on the Bassett Hull prints. Differences in the outer frame lines, edge scalloping and lettering between different positions are easy to see with images of this size. The superb quality of the Bassett Hull prints can be illustrated by blown-up images for typical plate positions. These are shown for Plate I, Row 4, Column 2 and Plate II, Row 4, Column 5. I also attach an image of a specimen from the same Plate Ii position, so it's possible to see the typical accuracy of matching.
BassettHull,Plate1,Row4,Column2.jpg
BassettHull,Plate1,Row4,Column2.jpg (96.31 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
BassettHull,Plate2,Row4,Column5.jpg
BassettHull,Plate2,Row4,Column5.jpg (96.55 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
4dCourier,P2,R4,C5.jpg
4dCourier,P2,R4,C5.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 2957 times
I'm not sure how to adjust the image size that appears on the website, so apologies for the variation.

Roger
Last edited by RogerKinns on Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by admin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:10 pm

So, if anyone would like a high-res image of the Bassett Hull prints please let me know.
Roger, image sizing for our bulletin board depends on the original image size, in pixels. We have a max image size pre-set so anything above 1,000 pixels wide will be reduced back to our maximum.Below that, and your image will display at the size you have determined. Our software does not interfere with original image size under the Board maximum.

If you dont use something like photoshop then you may not necessarily know what size your own images are, nor know how to edit image size.
This discussion is outside the scope of this Topic but if anyone has problems with their image sizes I am happy to have a side discussion about the problem via PM or email.

Pete