Mixed Courier and Chalon frankings

Please post anything about Tasmanian Stamps in this forum
RogerKinns

Mixed Courier and Chalon frankings

#1 Post by RogerKinns » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:23 am

The catalogue for the Feldman sale of the Sato collection in June 2014 contains some excellent illustrations of Couriers and Chalons, many in large blocks or on cover. It also contains useful summaries of known material. According to Sato, there is only one known cover with a mixed franking of Couriers and Chalons: Lot 50031 in the Feldman sale is a cover from Hobart to London with a pair of 1d Couriers and a single 4d Chalon. The postmark is dated 22 November 1856, with a London PAID arrival mark of 12 March 1857. There appears to be no known cover with a 4d Courier and Chalon combination. Can anyone confirm that?

The illustration below is of a piece that was offered recently on Ebay. It's a bit grubby, with pencil annotation and a Courier that is partly cut to shape, but appears to be genuine with BN61 Hobart cancellations and part of a London PAID arrival mark dated 16 March. The year is presumably 1856 or 1857. I wonder if it came from the same ship as the Sato cover? I presume pieces like this are scarce. I can't recall having seen one before.
4dCourie+2dChalon.JPG
4dCourie+2dChalon.JPG (193.52 KiB) Viewed 1723 times