Pictorial perforation misplaced

Please post anything about Tasmanian Stamps in this forum
rsingle

Pictorial perforation misplaced

#1 Post by rsingle » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:47 pm

Found this in a bulk lot, the perforation is 11 but the top is in two halves!

One suggestion is a misplaced 'T', but the perforation on the 'T' below does not match, it is just over 12.

Has anyone seen one before? Is it a second run to fix a missed section that is off line?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Richard

admin
Site Admin

Re: Pictorial perforation misplaced

#2 Post by admin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:22 am

Richard,
If its a mis-placed perfin then one wonders where the rest of it is. Most unlikely that it was upside down.
I have no idea really but perhaps a second run of perforations which happened to stop half way across the stamp?
I can't think of any satisfactory explanation but the "T" perfin theory seems very unlikely.

Pete

Jeffharris

#3 Post by Jeffharris » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:48 pm

I think the left side perforation is from the old gauge 11.8 perforating machine used in Hobart. Obviously the gauge 11 machine that was being used broke down and was taken away for repair. Presumably the other two gauge 11 machines were in use and for some reason this sheet was added to the completed pile and consequently consigned to Hobart.

On arrival in Hobart, the error was noticed and the 11.8 machine [which was first used in 1884] was used to complete the perforations. The old machine was only used for corrections during the Federal Period, but was in very poor condition. It produced uneven and blunt perforation holes as per those on the top left of Richard's stamp.

rsingle

#4 Post by rsingle » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:25 am

Jeff

Many thanks for the feedback, sounds as though it has an interesting history!

Richard