3d and 5/- on Type I wmk TAS paper

Please post anything about Tasmanian Stamps in this forum
bill

3d and 5/- on Type I wmk TAS paper

#1 Post by bill » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:54 pm

On page 74 of Basset Hull's book (Chapter VIII - Postage and Revenue stamps 1871-1878), we read
about the printing of the 3d and 5/- stamps on the new TAS watermarked paper (Type I)

"In March 1871, a book of 500 leaves of the new paper was obtained, and a supply of stamps printed
from the new plates, 250 leaves being apportioned to each value." (Third paragraph on p. 74)

One book yields 60,000 stamps so half a book (250 leaves) should yield 30,000 stamps of each value,
not 60,000 of each value as stated in the book (page 78). For the 5/-, this seems reasonable as this
denomination was mostly used fiscally. Of the 5/-brown St George and Dragon, only 12,184 stamps
were issued with 17,816 out of the original 30,000 being officially destroyed on 13 April 1871. So it
is to be expected that 30,000 of the 5/- would be enough for an interim supply. For the 3d, a new
supply would soon be needed but this was remedied in June 1871 with two books being used then.
A new supply of 5/- was printed in March 1872 with one book being used.

So a correction to the text seems to be necessary. We expect that unmilled paper was used for this
initial issue of 3d and 5/- as that paper was sent to arrive early in Hobart to expedite the printing.
This addition seems to be needed to the text.

We might point out that large numbers of 5/- would be needed for fiscal use as there was no other
high value stamp on issue at the time. (Only in 1880 would a reissue of the St George and Dragon
high values take place.) After 1880, the usage of the 5/- and other high value stamps for revenue
purposes would have declined, due to the introduction of embossed Platypus stamps for stamping
documents as required under stamp duty legislation.

Overall, Basset Hull did a good job and we enthusiasts tend to treat his word as gospel. Even so,
a check seems warranted when possible.

Any thoughts?