3d Pictorial - Litho Crown Over A - 3 papers?

Please post anything about Tasmanian Stamps in this forum
wilbaer

3d Pictorial - Litho Crown Over A - 3 papers?

#1 Post by wilbaer » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:46 am

I am busy closely itemising a selection of 3d Pictorials for our States perfin project and came across a stamp which has me flummoxed. It is an SG246, Crown over A litho printing, but on seemingly completely different, whiter paper than its normal counterparts. This one, by touch, seems thinner in comparison too, with the watermark being very clearly visible and under my Signoscope even more so when compared to the watermark visibility of the normal paper.

Naturally, I thought of the thin paper printing of 1912, but this example has a clear April 09 postmark, so it can't be that.

I re-read K.E.Lancaster's book to see if any mention of a second Cr/A paper occurred, but found nothing to that effect. I do not, however, have any other relevant Tasmanian publications to hand to further investigate.

Has anyone come across the same thing with regards to a different paper being used before the well-documented 1912 paper? Any verification would be much appreciated, since it would mean having to scour through other values for similar instances of this for my project if this is a documented occurrence.

A scan of the respective fronts is here - thin whiter paper is naturally on the right. Many thanks for your help.
SG246 3d different papers front.jpg
SG246 3d different papers front.jpg (272.17 KiB) Viewed 11531 times