4d Courier Laid Paper

Please post anything about Tasmanian Stamps in this forum
John Shepherd

4d Courier Laid Paper

#1 Post by John Shepherd » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:26 pm

The 4d Courier unused exists on laid (or 'ribbed') paper ie. with watermarked lines running through it. Due to the special paper and the fact that no used exmaple is recorded, this stamp has long been thought of as a proof, which is no doubt correct. The laid paper variety is listed in SG (although only as a footnote, in accordance with their policy not to assign catalogue numbers to proofs).

The stamp exists in both cut square and cut-to-shape form.

A scan of a cut-to-shape example from Plate 1 is below. Note the stamp is unused and sharply printed in Bright Orange. The watemark lines are just visible from the face

I am conducting a census of known exmaples. If any board members have an example could they please post a large scan of it (both front and back) for inclusion. The back is necessary to show the wmk lines. Many Thanks.
Attachments
4d Courier Laid paper.jpg
4d Courier Laid paper.jpg (29.4 KiB) Viewed 1813 times

bill

Re: 4d Courier Laid Paper

#2 Post by bill » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:28 pm

Folks

Can someone produce clear proof that the 4d Courier on laid paper is of proof status,
apart from showing that it is apparently only known unused? Basset Hull thought so
in 1890 in his book on Tasmania and opinions have seldom deviated from that line.

David McNamee

#3 Post by David McNamee » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:55 am

From Dec. 1916 London Philatelist (Vol. 25): "An item of unique philatelic interest will be offered for Sale by Auction at the Rooms of.Messrs. Puttick and Simpson, at 47 Leicester Square, in their sale of January 16th and 17th. It consists of an entire sheet of the Tasmania 1853, 4d.; red-orange, plate 2, on laid paper. It has full margins and inscriptions and consists, of course, of 24 specimens in four horizontal rows of six. Since the death of the engraver, Mr. C. VV. Coard, this sheet has been in the possession of his daughter, who has just become aware of the
value of the treasure of which she is possessed, and who has now placed it in the hands of the above well-known firm for disposal. It is stated that this sheet, together with a sheet of the 1d., blue, of the same issue, hung side by side in frames for many years upon one of the walls of the family's bungalow in India. The latter sheet, however, was unfortunately stolen, and it is almost a miracle that the fourpennies did not share the same or another fate, and that they should have escaped the ravages of the Indian climate and attacks from insects is marvellous. The margins are very slightly stained, but the stamps themselves are of a fine colour and quite fresh. The impression is sharp, and evidently an early printing from the plate, and it is possible that the first few sheets were printed on the laid paper, and that this running short was replaced by the wove. This would account for the great rarity of this stamp on the laid paper, indeed it has not yet been found used, and very
few unused are known, and these mostly cut round.
We wonder where are the pennies, and when (if ever!) they will appear in the light of day ?"

This would imply that there were two sheets of the 4d, since the article mentions the known unused copies on laid paper cut to shape as well as the intact sheet newly discovered. I have no record of this sale or subsequent sale of a sheet or large portion. No multiples in my auction data base. Interesting to note that the descriptions in the Sebastian Earl sale 25 APR 1980 references Plate I (Lot #2052) and the Odenweller sale 14 APR 1981 references a nice copy from Plate II (Lot #325)-- so perhaps 2 sheets existed at one time, one from each engraving?

Ross Ewington

#4 Post by Ross Ewington » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:44 pm

I just had a good look through the 10s of 1000s of images I have stored on my computer and found a reasonable image of the example sold in the Tasmanian Stamp Auctions 19th April 2000 postal auction (Lot 382). Unfortunately, I only scanned the front but it's a reasonable quality image considering the dinosaur of a scanner I was using at the time!
[attachment=0]4d courier on laid paper.jpg[/attachment]

The auction description reads in part "...4d red-orange "Courier" Plate II on laid paper unused ...... Fine condition with part of (the) imprint visible at base ...."
Attachments
4d courier on laid paper.jpg
4d courier on laid paper.jpg (37.66 KiB) Viewed 1726 times

bill

#5 Post by bill » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:34 pm

There is a reference to the sheet of 4d Courier on laid paper in Trove
for 21 February 1917. See this link

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/1064882

The news report in The Mercury said that the sheet turned up in England.

Also, by trying out Indian Google (google.co.in) the following link
turned up. That Coard is described as an engraver. A couple of his
children are recorded as born in Holborn in UK so that fits in with an
email from a BB member giving a link between Coard and Holborn. See

http://www.geni.com/people/Charles-COAR ... 1465484622

This is plausible. In the philatelic literature, we are only given the
initials as in C.W. Coard. The years of birth and death (1830 and
1892 respectively) are plausible.

It would be good if we can get Coard's full name as a check.

Bill