4d blue QV Sideface Imperforate on White Card

Please post anything about Tasmanian Stamps in this forum
Andrew Burke

4d blue QV Sideface Imperforate on White Card

#1 Post by Andrew Burke » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:05 pm

hi all .
I have 4d blue imperforated side face on white card . i was wondering if any body can tell me much about it i brought it from a lot with other state stamps only wanted them for this stamp did not know it was on white card.Is it a sample stamp that was included in presentation sets supplied to members of states legislatures.any info would be great i can not find much info about it only info i have found about it is in SG CAT specimen and presentation reprints.

Thanks any help appreciated

Ross Ewington

Re: 4d blue QV Sideface Imperforate on White Card

#2 Post by Ross Ewington » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:57 am

The 4d QV Sideface in blue on thin white card was included in the first specimen set sent to the UPU in Berne
in 1889. Although specimen stamps had already been printed overprinted REPRINT or SPECIMEN (and some with
"Cancelled" in manuscript), the UPU requirements were for stamps without overprint.

In "Tasmania - Stamps and Postal History" by W.E. Tinsley (RPSL - 1986) there is an excellent chapter on the
Tasmanian reprints and specimens by A.R. Butler. Although the book is now well out of print, it is worth looking
out for as copies are offered for sale at auction (incl eBay) on a fairly regular basis.

Andrew Burke

#3 Post by Andrew Burke » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi Ross
I am still cant work out what this stamp is . I do not think i would call it thin paper it is thick to me . I have read Tinsley Stamps and postal history but i am still finding it hard . i thought it might of been of a letter card but i could not find any thing about 4d blue in postal stationary . any ideas thanks Ross
Last edited by Andrew Burke on Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ross Ewington

#4 Post by Ross Ewington » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:37 am

I am fairly certain that it is indeed an example of the 4d produced for the first specimen set sent to the UPU in Berne
in 1889. I think the "thickness" problem is similar to "how long is a piece of string.." question. ;)

jorija

#5 Post by jorija » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:00 pm

Andrew, excuse me for pointing this out, but you may have misread the original post from Ross where he described the paper as thin card, rather than thin paper. The card it's printed on is fairly similar to the thickness of a typical printed photograph, probably about half as thick as a postcard.
As for origin, I agree with everything else said. Here's a nice block of them from my collection:

paulsozstates

#6 Post by paulsozstates » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:17 am

Query - Was the 4d blue QV sideface perforate ever printed as a reprint BUT with no REPRINT written across it?

Ross Ewington

#7 Post by Ross Ewington » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:58 am

paulsozstates wrote:Query - Was the 4d blue QV sideface perforate ever printed as a reprint BUT with no REPRINT written across it?
Yes, on unwatermarked paper perforated 11.4; only 480 were prepared but it is unknown as to whether all these reprints were distributed.

Reference: "Specimen and Reprint Stamps" by A.R. Butler - page 176 of "Tasmania · Stamps and Postal History" by W.E. Tinsley (RPSL, 1986)

paulsozstates

#8 Post by paulsozstates » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:21 pm

http://www.sandafayre.com/itemdetails.a ... eturn=true

It is interesting as when I contacted the auction house they told me the whole page are reprints.

What are your thoughts Ross?

Cheers
Paul

Ross Ewington

#9 Post by Ross Ewington » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:34 am

I'd ask to see a LARGE scan of the back of the stamps.

David McNamee

#10 Post by David McNamee » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:50 am

I have blocks of the 4d reprinted on thin white card without overprint, one in issued color and the other in a distinctly dark shade of blue. They are offered often enough that I doubt if they are rare. David

Ross Ewington

#11 Post by Ross Ewington » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:59 am

thanks David ...yes, I agree re the imperf "with and without overprint" on light card are fairly easy to come by. I think that I have
sold a complete sheet of both during the last 10 years; I'll check my records after the dust settles from next week's Hobart Stamp Show.

I think the perforated 4d blue S/face without overprint on unwatermarked paper is pretty scarce though - would you agree?

cheers ...Ross

Revenuer

#12 Post by Revenuer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Surly the perfed side faces without reprint are in fact issued stamps inc the perfed 4d blue.
Please visit my oz revenues web site: http://www.ozrevenues.com and don't forget "Illegitimi non carborundum"

David McNamee

#13 Post by David McNamee » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:43 pm

If the 4d blue stamp printed on paper without overprint is watermarked "4" then it is genuine. If not watermarked, it is a reprint. If watermarked "CC" it is a plate proof/De La Rue file copy, which are imperf, but someone could come along and perf them anyway. I do not own the 4d blue SF on unwatermarked paper, but they have been reported.

Ross Ewington

#14 Post by Ross Ewington » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm

I have just received for auction the first example that I have handled of the of the 4d blue S/face reprint on unwatermarked paper (1871)
accompanied by an APS certificate. Butler regarded these stamps as having been produced as plate proofs (see Tinsley, Page 176)
Basset Hull recorded that 480 examples were produced.
da1030.jpg
da1030.jpg (679.15 KiB) Viewed 5773 times

dazeyez

#15 Post by dazeyez » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:28 am

Hi Andrew,

This is an old question in regards to the Tasmania 4d Blue QV Sideface Imperf stamp on thick card. And I have exactly same like yours. it's not cancelled not it is hand stamped as reprint on back front or anywhere.

I will post the scans later sometime.

Please, do let me know if you found anything more about it.

Thanks

dazeyez

#16 Post by dazeyez » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:33 pm

Hi members,

There is currently one listed in ebay, a block of four with similar characterstics as below.

Hope it helps. Cheers.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TASMANIA-187 ... SwezVW0m2H