H 'AL' F PENNY Sideface Forgery?

Please post anything about Tasmanian Stamps in this forum
Revenuer

H 'AL' F PENNY Sideface Forgery?

#1 Post by Revenuer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:33 pm

This is at present sitting in an online auction with a start of $800 on it, it looks like a forgery to me can anybody confirm this....Dave
al.jpg
al.jpg (23.1 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
Please visit my oz revenues web site: http://www.ozrevenues.com and don't forget "Illegitimi non carborundum"

Peter Allan

Re: H 'AL' F PENNY Sideface Forgery?

#2 Post by Peter Allan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:33 pm

Dave, by a remarkable coincidence I am in the process of formatting an article for the next Courier by Neil Russell, FRPSL, FBSAP on this very issue - the halfpenny on one penny surcharge.
Without meaning to steal too much from the article, it would seem the item you display is indeed forgery according to Mr Russell. I am trusting that the author will not mind reproduction of his images here.
Below is the authentic surcharge and error, followed by an obvious forgery of the error with the AL turned counter clockwise. Appart from the obvious difference in the arrangment of the "al,"if you look carefully at the fonts in the genuine and the forgery, many small discrepancies can be seen particularly the serifs eg, the "H" of Half, the weight of the line of the "e" in Penny, and elsewhere. The two are clearly not the same judging by the fonts .
Genuine surcharge and genuine error
halfpenny-surcharge-genuine.jpg
halfpenny-surcharge-genuine.jpg (55.72 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
Forgery - AL turned 90 degrees counter clockwise:
halfpenny-surcharge-forgery.jpg
halfpenny-surcharge-forgery.jpg (65.53 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
Pete

David McNamee

#3 Post by David McNamee » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:45 am

I wrote an article on the forgeries of the Halfpenny overprint, both the forgery of the normal overprint and the error in The Informer, V65: 74-75 illustrating the ones I had at that time. Since then, I have collected several more of each normal and error. Attached here are some additional errors similar to the one originally posted by Revenuer.
Attachments
Halfpenny foregeries more.jpg
Halfpenny foregeries more.jpg (37.87 KiB) Viewed 1937 times

jorija

#4 Post by jorija » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:02 pm

It appears that forgeries of the halfpenny surcharge are not confined to the rare sideways-al variety. I found this amongst a lot of 1d sidefaces a few years ago.

Revenuer

#5 Post by Revenuer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:42 pm

A while back Leskie auctions sold a couple of half panes with the AL error in, i remember as i was the Bridesmaid!
Please visit my oz revenues web site: http://www.ozrevenues.com and don't forget "Illegitimi non carborundum"

Revenuer

#6 Post by Revenuer » Sun May 16, 2010 4:28 pm

Another!
120.jpg
120.jpg (20.84 KiB) Viewed 1882 times

Revenuer

#7 Post by Revenuer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:37 am

Finally found the Leskie graphics.

The corner pic below is from a full half pane.
al-side-1.jpg
al-side-1.jpg (272.08 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
------------------

Only recorded cover
al-side-2.jpg
al-side-2.jpg (151.86 KiB) Viewed 1845 times