1d.Red Pictorial Booklet Stamps

Please post anything about Tasmanian Stamps in this forum
Jeffharris

1d.Red Pictorial Booklet Stamps

#1 Post by Jeffharris » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:31 pm

I am interested to know if it is possible to identify any of the 1d. red pictorial stamps that were used in the one pound stamp booklets that were first issued in January 1904. The stamps would have been electrotyped on Cr./V watermark paper. The booklets were made up of 12 blocks of 20 stamps. Each pane of 20 consisted of 5 rows of 4 - I presume that meant each pane had 4 vertical rows of 5 horizontal stamps. If a normal sheet of 60 stamps was used, only 2 panes of 20 could have been utilised. The remaining 20 consisted of 2 vertical rows of 10 and I am not sure how they would have been used. They may have been punctured with the "T" for government use. The top row of each pane would have retained its selvedge and then each group of 12 panes of 20 was provided with a front and back cover and then a few staples would be rammed through the 20 bits of selvedge and the two covers. If the booklets were side stapled, then each of the panes would obviously have to be turned on its side to accommodate this.

Does any one know if the bottom rows of each pane were guillotined? If they were, then would it be possible for collectors to identify them, or would they be regarded as just another clumsy attempt by some-one to create bogus imperforate stamps?
As far as I know, none of these one pound booklets have survived intact, but plenty of the stamps taken from them must still exist. However, we may not ever identify them. [Some would argue, does it matter?]

If a special plate of 20 impressions had been used, there would be some record of it, but the expense involved in preparing an additional plate like this would have been prohibitive. Jeff.