What colour is this 2d Pictorial?

Please post anything about Tasmanian Stamps in this forum
titchiepoo

What colour is this 2d Pictorial?

#1 Post by titchiepoo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:52 am

Hello everyone here is my first question of which I am sure there will be many more.

I was wondering if someone can help me with this 2d pictorial?

I have just recieved it in an auction lot and it is not the colour it's meant to be!
Could it be a changeling or was there a printing in a sepia colour as it is nearly exactly the same colour as the 3d when put side to side.
It is does not look at all faded and is quite sharp and clean looking.
I have put a normal violet 2d next to it to show difference.

Thank you
Attachments
2d pictorial.jpg
2d pictorial.jpg (33.51 KiB) Viewed 1040 times

titchiepoo

Re: What colour is this 2d Pictorial?

#2 Post by titchiepoo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:28 pm

Sorry I forgot to put it is V over Crown watermark, Perf 12, lithographed

Jeffharris

#3 Post by Jeffharris » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:19 pm

The 2d. pictorial has probably been exposed to sunlight. When you receive Keith Lancaster's handbook of the Pictorial issues, you will find on pg. 25 the details of the plates used for the 2d lithographs and the earliest dates of cancellation. On pg. 26 there is a list of the 'known' shades for each pair of plates. We have an overseas member of the group who is undertaking an extensive study of the 2d. litho. issues. I am sure he could help with identifying unusual shades. There are, of course, several members in this state who have been studying the Pictorials for many years. They will also be of great help if you have any queries.

Jerry Weirich

#4 Post by Jerry Weirich » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:19 am

Titchiepoo -- The shades you have shown appear typical of the color varieties found on the 2d lithographed pictorial. There are also many other shades. I won't attempt to apply a color to them because scanned stamps don't always show their true color. Jeff is also correct that these stamps do turn brownish when exposed to sunlight. The first stamp is a shade found in the later printings of the V over Crown lithographs. The shade of the second stamp is more frequently found on the early printings (plates 1-4). If your stamps have any plate or printing flaws, it may be possible to identify the specific plate from which they were printed. I would be happy to help you further identify the plates, but would need higher-resolution scans. Hope this helps! Jerry