Congress Invitation Card from 1910 printed by Perkins, Bacon

Please post anything about Tasmanian Stamps in this forum
Ross Ewington

Congress Invitation Card from 1910 printed by Perkins, Bacon

#1 Post by Ross Ewington » Tue May 29, 2012 8:00 pm

This invitation card to the banquet held at the Second Philatelic Congress of Great Britain was printed by Perkins, Bacon & Co.
using a modified die as used for the 'Chalon' issues. Although extra machine engraving has been applied, you can clearly
see VAN DIEMENS LAND underneath.

I have found information regarding this item, namely 1) A paper was read to delegates on the first morning entitled
'The Manufacture of Stamps'. It was given by J. Dunbar Heath of Perkins, Bacon & Co. As part of the paper he gave a
demonstration of a printing process. 2) a proof of this card exists with some slight variations in format.
cj121.jpg
cj121.jpg (141.95 KiB) Viewed 959 times
cj121a.jpg
cj121a.jpg (136.23 KiB) Viewed 959 times
Does anyone have any further information on this item? I wonder how many survived?

franciskiddle

Re: Congress Invitation Card from 1910 printed by Perkins, B

#2 Post by franciskiddle » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:44 pm

I attach scans of the Die proof of the first card. This was engraved on 17th March 1910 at a cost of 25/-. H.L. Hayman who ordered this from Perkins Bacon was the agent for Liberia stamps and revenues, and that is why he had access to Perkins Bacon.
congress invite 1.jpg
congress invite 1.jpg (198.64 KiB) Viewed 931 times

The second engraving was made on 19th April 1910 when the plate was altered extensively at a cost of £1.1.0; the main changes were a much heavier print of the stamp so as to hide better "Van Diemen's Land" and to add the Hon Sec name and address at bottom left.
congress invite 2.jpg
congress invite 2.jpg (237.58 KiB) Viewed 931 times

On 2nd May 1910 360 Invitation Cards were printed at a cost of £8.5.0.

How many survive today is anybodies guess. I have my two - the die proof and the issued card. I have seen two more but that is all.
I attach scans of the Die proof of the first card. This was engraved on 17th March 1910 at a cost of 25/-. H.L. Hayman who ordered this from Perkins Bacon was the agent for Liberia stamps and revenues, and that is why he had access to Perkins Bacon.

The second engraving was made on 19th April 1910 when the plate was altered extensively at a cost of £1.1.0; the main changes were a much heavier print of the stamp so as to hide better "Van Diemen's Land" and to add the Hon Sec name and address at bottom left (see 2nd attachment).

On 2nd May 1910 360 Invitation Cards were printed at a cost of £8.5.0.

How many survive today is anybodies guess. I have my two - the die proof and the issued card. I have seen two more but that is all.

Francis Kiddle