Stirling post office

Please post anything about Tasmanian Stamps in this forum
John Campton

Stirling post office

#1 Post by John Campton » Tue May 07, 2013 7:28 pm

I am putting together a body of work that will emcompass all post offices and CDS, used during the Pictorial period,that were united by the Emu Bay Railway (and its side tramways/railways) and the Lyell systems. Its slowly coming together and it will cover not only CDS used but late dates, early dates, inks, postmasters, history of the location and current status. I have however struck a small hiatus with Stirling. I know it changed its name to Ridgley (the CDS before the government gazette) but was it named after James Stirling, the Engineer in charge of railway construction circ 1898? Additionally was it once located at the railway station before relocation to the Ridgley Post Office a short distance away?

This is my first post and I hope I have put it in the right spot. Any help regarding the above information and or suitable reference books would be appreciated. Have got Railways and Tramways on Tasmanias West Coast/In the Shadow of Lyell (Both Lyell Centenary) and Warratah Pioneer of the West.

Thank you John Campton

John Hardinge

Re: Stirling post office

#2 Post by John Hardinge » Wed May 08, 2013 11:27 am

I do not believe that either Stirling or Ridgley were at the station. Stirling name was changed to Ridgley due to this being the more common name for the district. It also coincided with a change of location of the P.O due to the resignation of the old P.M. Are you only interested in the 1900-13 period. And only the EBR or all West Coast railways? I probably have some info to help. Feel free to contact me via the TPS BB or call 0408137522. The Peaks of Lyell by Blainey has some info. Also railway tickets of Tasmania by HK Aktinson

John Campton

#3 Post by John Campton » Wed May 08, 2013 4:58 pm

Thank you John for getting back so quickly. That answers a few questions. At this stage I am working down the Emu Bay Railway line and its offshoots and will eventually be doing the Lyell system of railways and tramways, and post offices connected thereto. I do have the Peaks of Lyell thankyou and forgot to mention that. I am doing this in tandem with post offices during the Pictorials period and the CDS/history hoping to get everything in one basket. Will show you in due course and thank you for your offer. I am new to this and perhaps this is a strength; seeing things from the eyes of a novice.The Pictorial period is more than enough at this stage and I am in awe at your body of work and the effort involved.
Kind regards JC

Revenuer

#4 Post by Revenuer » Wed May 08, 2013 5:24 pm

I showed this Emu Bay Rail card a few years ago, just cross referencing it here.
http://tps.org.au/bb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11
Please visit my oz revenues web site: http://www.ozrevenues.com and don't forget "Illegitimi non carborundum"

John Hardinge

#5 Post by John Hardinge » Tue May 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks very much for that. Of course a few P.O's opened post 1912 on the railway and it's route. Bulgobac for one. Hampshire another. Koyule is another West Coast P.O, but not on the EBR, Heemskirk another..