NOT KNOWN POSTMAN LAUNCESTON - ANY OTHER EXAMPLES?

Ross Ewington

NOT KNOWN POSTMAN LAUNCESTON - ANY OTHER EXAMPLES?

#1 Post by Ross Ewington » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:46 pm

This example of the large (80x38mm) NOT KNOWN BY POSTMAN / LAUNCESTON, TAS. informative
handstamp is on the back of a return to sender cover from Hobart dated 17 MAY 1966.
[attachment=1]not known Launceston.jpg[/attachment]

This is one of two types that I have seen the other being....
[attachment=0]not known Launceston 2.jpg[/attachment]

Unfortunately, I do not have the measurements of this type as it is not in my possession but I can report that
the letters in the top line of the handstamp are 5mm high whereas they are 6mm high in the example on the cover.
I also have early and late dates of use for this type - 7 JY 1955 and 5 FE 1963 respectively. Judging by the worn
state of this informative handstamp, it's first use may pre-date 1955 by some years.

If anyone can post images of any examples of either (or additional) handstamps or provide other information including
early and late dates, can you please post them here?

Attachments
not known Launceston 2.jpg
not known Launceston 2.jpg (25.9 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
not known Launceston.jpg
not known Launceston.jpg (79.85 KiB) Viewed 1378 times

Mike

Re: NOT KNOWN POSTMAN LAUNCESTON - ANY OTHER EXAMPLES?

#2 Post by Mike » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:19 pm

I thought I had one of these markings, finally found it in a shoe box of junk. Posted from Holland to Family Kramer, PO Box 117, Tasmania, Australia. By the way the Kramer family lived in Penguin.

Colin Salt

#3 Post by Colin Salt » Fri May 11, 2012 2:12 am

Launceston NK2.jpg
Launceston NK2.jpg (90.08 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
Attachments
I now have another strike of the second type listed in the original post.  As the scan will show the Returned to Sender label has been stuck almost exactly over the strike, but looking at it against a bright light it is clearly the earlier, by date of the two types, apart from the smaller lettering  and the fact that T of Tas is directly under 16 in the fourth column of figures.  Postmark date is 5 APR 1951 and the handstamp appears to be in much better condition that the later useage.
I now have another strike of the second type listed in the original post. As the scan will show the Returned to Sender label has been stuck almost exactly over the strike, but looking at it against a bright light it is clearly the earlier, by date of the two types, apart from the smaller lettering and the fact that T of Tas is directly under 16 in the fourth column of figures. Postmark date is 5 APR 1951 and the handstamp appears to be in much better condition that the later useage.
Launceston NK1.jpg (101.09 KiB) Viewed 1213 times

Colin Salt

#4 Post by Colin Salt » Fri May 11, 2012 2:16 am

A similar handstamp exists for Launceston South as per scan. Sadly it is a cut-out only so the date cannot be determined.

Note the mis-spelling - KNOW - instead of KNOWN
Attachments
Launceston Sth.jpg
Launceston Sth.jpg (23.47 KiB) Viewed 1213 times