TASSIE POSTMARK POLICE "ON PATROL" :-)

Ross Ewington

TASSIE POSTMARK POLICE "ON PATROL" :-)

#1 Post by Ross Ewington » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:54 am

As a philatelic auctioneer, I read through a lot of auction catalog and website content every day.
Every now and again under Tasmanian postmark descriptions, I see the term "not recorded by Avery & Hardinge"
or just "unrecorded" and this claim always attracts my interest.

Just the other day while checking out an Australian auction house catalog I came across the word "unrecorded" in this
lot description....
paid at hobart.jpg
paid at hobart.jpg (50.01 KiB) Viewed 5566 times
...looked awfully like a cut-out from an early Hobart machine cancel to me!

I contacted John Hardinge and he confirmed that I was correct. I then contacted TPS BB 'regular' Colin Salt and
he has kindly provided an illustration of the original cancel (below - to see the complete image, "click" thereupon once).
Hobart 'paid' 1.jpg
Hobart 'paid' 1.jpg (94.38 KiB) Viewed 5566 times
I shall relate the information to the auction house as they requested empirical evidence and I am certain the lot
will be withdrawn (they quickly re-described a cover in the same auction where an obvious Moonah postmark had
been identified as Alonnah ... the "Allonah" spelling attracted me to that one!)

Now it's on to this MONEY ORDER HOBART "unrecorded by Avery and Hardinge" beauty offered by another auction house
that some of you may have seen!
[attachment=0]paid at ararat.jpg[/attachment]

Further contributions to this post are welcome ....hopefully there won't be many. Please don't "name" the auction house
or be critical as the purpose of this topic is assist in the prevention of errors becoming "facts" as in my other post
CORRECT IDENTIFICATION OF BARRED NUMERAL POSTMARKS http://tps.org.au/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=290&hilit=BN59
Attachments
paid at ararat.jpg
paid at ararat.jpg (56.74 KiB) Viewed 5566 times