MISSORTED TO HOBART handstamp - anyone seen one?

Ross Ewington

MISSORTED TO HOBART handstamp - anyone seen one?

#1 Post by Ross Ewington » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:15 pm

I have had this rather battered but interesting envelope for over 20 years and have just got around
to asking the question..."has anyone else seen an example of MISSORTED TO HOBART"
missorted to hobart.jpg
missorted to hobart.jpg (204.87 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
The Melbourne addressed cover was mailed from Port Adelaide using the Priority Paid service on 21DE78 arriving the next day
at Hobart (timeclock backstamp). The envelope was then re-directed to Melbourne, probably by regular mail, arriving at
the G.P.O. on 26DE78.

I assume that this datestamp was applied at the Hobart Mail Exchange. I have not seen another example - has anyone
else?

Colin Salt

Re: MISSORTED TO HOBART handstamp - anyone seen one?

#2 Post by Colin Salt » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:50 am

Hi Ross,

If you have a copy of the Prestige catalogue for auction 140 on the shelf, look at page 78 which shows covers and missent marks for Hobart and launceston which were part of the Patrick Reid collection sold by Prestige.

I can scan and send if required.

Colin.

Ross Ewington

#3 Post by Ross Ewington » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:10 am

thanks Colin .... I can't locate my copy of the catalog however I checked out Prestige's archived copy online
but couldn't find any reference to the handstamp. I didn't think Patrick's wonderful collection had anything
so "modern".

Colin Salt

#4 Post by Colin Salt » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:18 am

You are quite right Ross, the markings are much earlier.

The scan will be too large to post here but I will send it by post and you can extract anything you think relevant.

Colin.

Ross Ewington

#5 Post by Ross Ewington » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:56 am

thanks Colin but I don't think there was a "Missorted to Hobart" handstamp used in an earlier period. I think
this would have been produced around the time of the item illustrated above and may be a "companion" to the
"Posted Incorrectly or Too Late" rubber h/stamp applied to Priority Post mail at Hobart during the same period.

Colin Salt

#6 Post by Colin Salt » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:32 am

Agreed. As I was about to copy I noticed that the markings were MISSENT TO HOBART and MISSENT TO LAUNCESTON.

I will not send the copy unless you want it.

Colin.