LOW HEAD Type R6 datestamp used after PO closed

Ross Ewington

LOW HEAD Type R6 datestamp used after PO closed

#1 Post by Ross Ewington » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Please note John Hardinge's remark below re the neoprene-faced Type R6 datestamp...
low head Type R6.jpg
low head Type R6.jpg (19.83 KiB) Viewed 750 times
In summary 1) PO closed 31OC1988 2) reported from 2MY89

I just found this cover earlier today...
ww1263.jpg
ww1263.jpg (182.56 KiB) Viewed 750 times
As the cover is also postmarked at George Town on the same day, i.e. 28 MAR 1989, and the 39c Merino
stamp was issued early in 1989, the postmark was definitely applied on that day at Low Head.

The cover has a Low Head return address on the back flap.

Looks like a bit of a mystery ....any ideas?

griffofromtas

Re: LOW HEAD Type R6 datestamp used after PO closed

#2 Post by griffofromtas » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 pm

Ross
From memory of growing up in the area and visiting the Low Head shop many times I am pretty sure that the actual shop remained open for quite a while after the post office service finished running just as a corner store into at least 1990 ( a friend of mine parents were running it at the time )There is a fair chance that some residents of the area still took there mail into the shop to be posted (quite a few elderly people in the area) and the owners used the cancel before most probably hand delivering into the George Town office.I note that the cancel is not on the stamp and probably placed on the envelope since the office was technically not in use and was left to the George Town P.O. to cancel.Hope it helps in some way.
Daryl